Difference between round and set

Difference between round and set

Postby saquiwej » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello. I am using Leitner method for studying large decks. While I get the meaning of Round, I don't really understand what a Set is. If I change the value Min Cards in Set, I don't see any difference. Do I need to bother about this value or it is enough if I adjust Max Cards in Round?
saquiwej

Re: Difference between round and set

Postby Ernie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi. I know this is confusing.

Let's assume you have a 100 card deck and the app picks 50 cards that it has determined that you need to study now.

Set: 50 cards
Round: the 50 cards are broken into smaller groups, e.g. 10 cards. These 10 cards becomes a "round".

The purpose of breaking a large set into smaller "rounds" is so that missed cards can be repeated in the next round of cards. If you increase "max cards in round", you'll generally see missed cards less quickly (less short-term memory helping out).

Assume now the app only has 4 cards that are "due". So the "set" is 4 cards. Each round will have <= 4 cards.
So you don't start with such small "set" of cards to currently be studied, you can set a "min" number, which is 10 by default.

For new decks, the first "set" will be all cards. After you study awhile, a set may include 1/10 the total numbers of cards, for example.
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Difference between round and set

Postby saquiwej » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:46 pm

Thank you for your explanation. Although I am subscribed to this thread, I was not notified, or what is more likely, the notification got stuck in my spam filter. I have spent a lot of time lately to acquire a working knowledge of FlashCards. I will post the results of my research as a separate thread because it exceeds by far the scope of the present one.
saquiwej

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback