What should I do regarding the update about TTS?

What should I do regarding the update about TTS?

Postby Lizzerstoff » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:16 am

Hey Ernie,

I've just noticed there's an update on Android and you mentioned you're switching to Polly by Amazon.

There is a list of available languages on it on Amazon but I cannot include URL references in my post.

I'm extremely worried:
I've been using Catalan, Czech, Finnish and Hungarian regularly and the last two is a must for me. Actually, one of the reason I've chosen FCD back then was because of its fantastic and extensive support of TTS.

Are you planning some solution for folks who need these languages?

Or if I don't update (which is obviously would be my last resort) do I have the choice of the above-mentioned languages in the future?

I'd gladly pay more, patron or whatever but I seriously need those voices, especially Finnish and Hungarian. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Please write some encouraging note regarding this.

Thank you in advance and have a nice week,
Anikó

Ps.: Sorry if the message got sent more than once, there's a rainstorm underway and something is clogging up my connection.
Lizzerstoff

Re: What should I do regarding the update about TTS?

Postby Ernie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi Anikó,

It's good that you are giving me feedback. I'm working through this.
Not upgrading FCD won't help you, as any stopping of support will happen at the cloud level, not the app level.

Have you tried Android TTS? On my device I have 3 of the 4 languages you mentioned (not Catalan).
My hope is that people will generally find Android TTS acceptable, but it's very likely the sounds aren't quite as good as the iSpeech sounds.

I'm trying to move away from iSpeech because 1) it's very expense for me and 2) their best voices (including English) have recently changed to lower quality version (as iSpeech is also trying to cut costs).

Keeping support for iSpeech languages that are not in Polly is a possibility. My first step is to reduce my iSpeech usage. I will then work with iSpeech to determine reasonable options.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby mrt20 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:49 am

hi Ernie,

I am also worried about the sound quality of Polly by Amazon.I was wondering if you are considering a subscription based FD. I would gladly pay every month or year to contribute to cut your TTS expenses since I am paying subscription fees every month to other apps which are not that essential.

!!
mrt20

Postby Ernie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 am

I'm really trying to stay away from subscriptions. I've gotten some good feedback on Polly voices, so hopefully they are OK in general. Again, nothing is set in stone yet.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback