Any ways to add a difficulty level to layouts?

Any ways to add a difficulty level to layouts?

Postby TheNCGoalie » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:12 pm

Let’s say I have a couple of layouts for a single deck, is there anyway to add a difficulty level per layout so that I’m given the least difficult to complete first, followed by the next level, etc until I reach the most difficult layout? Usually I end up getting the same card with all of the layouts in a row, which kind of makes it a little too easy when I first see a flashcard, then the next is the same card but the spelling version.
TheNCGoalie

Re: Any ways to add a difficulty level to layouts?

Postby Ernie » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:03 pm

You have Advanced Layout turned on right? You can have the app wait to show you layout 2 for a certain card until you've answered it correctly a couple times, for example. Assume layout 1 is easiest.
Go to Layout 2. Make sure it has its own Statistics set, for example "2". Go to Cards to Study, and look for "Additional Streak / Interval". "Stat Set" should be "1", as we this will be our criteria. Set Streak to say ">1".
Now, it won't show the card in Layout 2 until the streak is 2 for layout one.
I think this is what you are looking for.

You can add Layout 3 also. Make sure Statistics set is set to 3.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby TheNCGoalie » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:16 pm

The layouts I use are as follows:

German to English Flashcards Text
English to German Flashcards Text
German to English Spelling Text
English to German Spelling Text
German to English Flashcards Audio
English to German Flashcards Audio
German to English Spelling Audio
English to German Spelling Audio

All 8 layouts have audio, the last 4 are audio only. It would be awesome to have a difficulty setting to put in the Google Sheets document, but the method you mention works. It’s just a little tedious. Is there a limit on the number of statistics sets?
TheNCGoalie

Postby Ernie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:48 am

One big problem for you is that the app only supports up to 4 statistic sets. You need 8 to do my method with your setup.

"It would be awesome to have a difficulty setting to put in the Google Sheets document"
I not sure how that would work exactly. If you have a suggestion, you can let me know.

Do you use categories? One option might be to just add a category to every say 20 cards. (I only allow 200 categories, so that would max out at 4000 cards) You could then turn on categories as desired, start with "1-20" for layout 1, then adding "21-40" for layout one, while adding "1-20" for Layout 2.

You have 8 layouts. You will need share statistics set between them, since I only support 4. (I will eventually add more than 4.) You won't be able to activate all layouts at once. If you share the same statistics set with layout 1 and 3, for example, you can only active one of these at a time. Hmm, this may cause a problem in the category idea I had above.

OK, another idea...

If you share the same stat set for all German -> English, maybe you can add criteria so that Flashcards = Streak <= 2. Spelling = Streak <= 4. F Audio <= 6 and SpellingAudio >6. So a card will get removed from easier layout and move to next layout after certain number of times. But a problem is if you get it wrong, it will move back to first layout, which seems a bit harsh. You could change setting so that streak only drops by 1, for example. All this assumes "short term goal" mode, which uses streak as main statistics. Similar setup can be made for spaced repetition. Maybe I'm not thinking about something correctly, but maybe some ideas that might help you.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby TheNCGoalie » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:14 am

Here's an idea of how I think this could be implemented. This is a small part of my Google sheet:

name Deutsch
card-order 3
sound-auto-play 1
card-theme Chalkboard - Clear 3
advanced-layout 1
category-1 Flashcard
L1-layout-name German to English Flashcard Text
L1-active 0
L1-layout-string T1,,,,,P1,S1|T2,,,,,P2,S2|T3,,,,,P3,S3|T4,,,,,P4,S4|T5,,,,,P5,S5
L2-layout-name English to German Flashcard Text
L2-active 1
L2-layout-string T2,,,,,P2,S2|T1,,,,,P1,S1|T3,,,,,P3,S3|T4,,,,,P4,S4|T5,,,,,P5,S5
L2-stat-direction 2
L3-layout-name German to English Spelling Text
L3-active 2
L3-layout-string T1,,,,,P1,S1|T2,,,,,P2,S2|T3,,,,,P3,S3|T4,,,,,P4,S4|T5,,,,,P5,S5
L3-stat-direction 3
L3-spell 1
L3-spell-case-sensitive 1
L3-spell-play-answer 1

I think something like the following would be amazing:

L1-Difficulty 1
L1-Difficulty-Completion .5

The idea being that each layout has a difficulty level, and that we can specify when a card gets bumped up. In this example, level 1 is the easiest difficulty, so when I hit 50% completion for a card on level 1, I now get level 1 and level 2 difficulty layouts for that card. When I hit 50% completion on levels 1 and 2, I now see the card for layouts 1,2, and 3, and so on.
TheNCGoalie

Postby Ernie » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:35 pm

OK. This I think is exactly what the app can do that I described in my first post

Advanced Layout
Go to Layout 2. Make sure it has its own Statistics set, for example "2". Go to Cards to Study, and look for "Additional Streak / Interval". "Stat Set" should be "1", as we this will be our criteria. Set Streak to say ">1".
Now, it won't show the card in Layout 2 until the streak is 2 for layout one.

If your 100% completion measure is streak of 6, then you can set criteria above to be 3. Or if your measure is interval of 30 days, you can set it to interval of 15 days.

To have this "difficulty" rating as you described, you would need a different set of statistics for each layout. In other words, a cards progress for each layout is independent. It would need to be like this for "my" method or "yours". I think we are saying the same thing, but I'm saying that the settings to do it are there but a bit more tricky to implement. The only has up to 4 different statistic sets for each card. I will eventually add more.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:39 pm

Any idea on when the additional statistics sets will be added?

Postby Ernie » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:12 pm

I'm hoping in about 6 months. Sorry for the delay. It's something I'm currently working towards, but it will take time.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby TheNCGoalie » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:41 pm

Any update on additional statistics sets?
TheNCGoalie

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:42 pm

Ernie wrote:... but a bit more tricky to implement. The only has up to 4 different statistic sets for each card.

I wonder how that will work with more than one statistic. When you use the «growing» streak, it must be the same set.

In the past I had a similar «layout in order» setup which works very well. Here are some details:
Using speace repitation, all the same statistic set 1, one deck with 5 layouts:
NAME. STREAK. INTERVALL
Words. All. Pending
Translate equal/less 1. equal/less 30
Listen bigger 1. equal/less 30
Speak. equal/less 8. bigger 30
Write. bigger 8. bigger 30

Perhaps this could be adjusted to cover 8 layouts.
For «short term lernin» it is much easier, as there 8 streak steps as you already mention ... But it must be same statistic.... or, Ernie, am I wrong?
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:18 pm

Katja's approach does seem work, and would work with 8 layouts. The limitation, since she is using only a single statistics set, is that as the card moves from one layout to another, it's removed from the prior layout. So a card would be "active" on only one layout at a time. This may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

While I did say maybe in 6 months.... no. I'm currently struggling to get important work done, and adding more than 4 statistic sets won't happen anytime soon. Sorry about that.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback