Deck Options - Cards to study

Deck Options - Cards to study

Postby Almayer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:40 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your app, Ernie, it's really great. I found it yesterday and I'm sure it will help me a lot to study languages and particularly chinese. I'm currently a user of Anki but your app is clearly better (and Quizlet doesn't offer the spaced repetition system anymore).
Nevertheless I need some help.
In the case of spaced repetition, is it possible to set the interval in which the cards will be offered to me again?
I suppose this happens in Cards to study, but then I am lost. Streak, interval, flagged, review count, I don't understand how these options work.
Thanks if anyone can help me.
Almayer

Re: Deck Options - Cards to study

Postby Ernie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 am

Hi Almayer,

Sorry for the slow response.

Below is a link with more details on how my spaced repetition system works:
https://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/AboutSR.aspx

Deck Options > Card Order is where you find the Spaced Repetion setting. When set, a new button "Spaced Repetition Settings" should appear... this is where you can change related options.

The link above should explain the terms you mentioned. Streak is not used in scheduling for "spaced repetition". It's used in the "short term goal" mode though. Interval is the important measurement in SR.

Flagged is only used to filter cards when studying. You can flag cards using the bottom center button as you study. You can later include (or exclude) just the flagged cards by going to Deck Options > Cards to Study.

Review Count doesn't affect scheduling. It's just for your viewing pleasure.

If you still have questions after reading the above link, let me know.
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:05 am

Hi Ernie,

I was rereading the initial post several times but still do not understand how to set the configuration for a deck so that not all cards will be showed repeatedly.
All cards, even newly added ones, are set to active automatically.

No matter how many times I run a deck successfully, statistic shows correct data but still all cards will be shown the the next time I run the deck.
I tested several configurations too, e.g. set "Show Interval" to Active but then I get the message that no cards exist in the selected group (?). If I set a time value all cards will be shown the next time I run the deck.

Thanks for you help
Mat
Mat

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 am

Hi Mat,

"Cards to Study" is used to "exclude" certain cards from study. I don't think this is what you want. I think what you are looking for is a "smart study mode" where cards you get correct are shown less often.

In Deck Options, the first option is "Card Order". Do you have it sent to "ordered" or "random"? Try one of the other two. I like "spaced repetition" mode, but you should read up on how it works so you have a better idea on what's going on:
https://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/AboutSR.aspx

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:06 pm

This thread happened to help me, because I was seeing the "no cards exist" message even though I had almost all categories selected. I don't understand why changing "Show Interval" from "Active" to "All" solved the problem, but it did.

Thank you for allowing a guest post!!

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback