WAY TO BULK BACKUP (WHOLE APP CONTENT)

WAY TO BULK BACKUP (WHOLE APP CONTENT)

Postby turgutbekil » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:58 am

Hi Ernie ;

Is there a way to BULK BACKUP of my app in the phone as a snapshot at any time:T including all decks with alll their media.
I have tens of decks with thousands of cards with photos its too time consuming to go deck by deck and use dropbox or google drive or your appserver (limitations).
I either don't use regular sync since I have too many cards (it takes a lot of time).

I also have fixes (corrections on the cards) while I am studying on the phone
So always the latest version of my cards and decks (including statistics) are the ones in my phone.

But What if my phone dies or lost or stolen. FD would be the biggest loss for me in such a stutaion , so its scary.

I know all the upload/download tricks since I use this great app for 5 years now but I need a faster one. I need an instant snapshot which I can save to my computer for example and then make a recovery from it. Is there a way. (for example you can say connect you phone to compoter to folder x in \Android\data\com.orangeorapple.flashcards\ etc. and copy it to somewhere)

Turgut
turgutbekil

Re: WAY TO BULK BACKUP (WHOLE APP CONTENT)

Postby Ernie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi Turgut,

Do you use Dropbox or OneDrive? The "full" backup routine is..
Tap "Edit" at main Decks screen, then tap "Backup / Restore" at bottom.
Have you tried this? This is what I'd recommend.
After the initial backup, it shouldn't have to export all media files, only exporting new/changed ones.

I have a new sync with my server that I haven't advertised much yet.
Global Options > View > Advanced > Enable Beta Sync
Global Options > Sync > Sync Location > App Server
This new sync should be very efficient and auto backup to my server whenever you close the app. The first time syncing though, you might have to turn on just a few decks at a time (and sync, then turn on a few more) if run into errors. (The app will try to sync everything at once on the first time and it may be too much data for app to handle.)

You mentioned copying from internal SD card. Yes, that can work, but I think the normal "Backup/Restore" routine seems easier (assuming you can use either Dropbox or OneDrive)
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 am

Hello Ernie ,

Yes I use dropbox and I USED TO - "full" backup- but due to big decks and photos it started to take too much time and also due to errors and splits I gave up.

Your new feature (back up to app server) is inuse isnt it (android) ?
And what is the difference between appserver full back up and using dropbox full backup ?
And finanlly you have limits for upload and download decks via using app server and you also ask to delete our decks because they can keep a big space in you server but now you have launched a full app server backup feature, this means you are going to keep everyusers full app data in your server right ? isnt it a very big data ? how did you come with it , if I ask?

turgut
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:19 pm

I need to do some testing of the Dropbox backup. If your photos are not already on Dropbox, then yes it will work to export them all to Dropbox. If photos can already be found on Dropbox, the app shouldn't have to do anything.

The new sync is available for both iOS and Android (still labeled "beta"). As I mentioned, the initial sync (if you have a lot of data), might has some difficulties if you try to turn on all decks at once. After the initial sync, it should be efficient. You have the option to export media files to "my" server, or you can use Dropbox. So if you don't want to upload media to my server, you have the Dropbox option. My new sync runs on a totally new system... Microsoft Azure servers, and media files are stored in more cost effective locations. I think media storage is relatively cheap, so I'm not expecting too high of bills for everyone's files... but we'll see. :)
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:16 pm

cool man :) "Microsoft Azure" ... you are keeping abreast with all the cutting edge stuff :) Ok thank you. I will try your beta feature too.
turgutbekil

Postby turgutbekil » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:33 pm

Hello Ernie ;

Sync has issues. I have tried both your app Sync (sycn location = appserver) with two options a) store media on = dropbox, b) store media on= app server.
Im using an android phone and all my latest version decks are in it. So in this test my aim is to upload decks from my android phone (by app Sync) and then download them from my ipod (again by app Sync) in order to see they are all OK.

both has issues (I use android) .

a) store media on = dropbox => ithas upload the card data to server but coulndt upload photos (probably totaly) to dropbox , I checked dropbox it created a folder by the name of the deck AND there is media in it, but on the upp gave this error (ı checked the dropbox connectivity its connected I even logged out logged in and tried again but the same error) .
a.jpg
a) store media on = dropbox -- app error
a.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 8817 times

b) store media on= app server, => I changed the option to full app server (including media) and I tried to SYNC 1 deck of 799 cards (All have media) (1)
but when It started the SYNC in the bottom line, it said media of 766 (actually there 799 cards (All have media)) but the SYNC chose to upload 766 of them, 30 missing (2) , then when the SYNC finished I tried to download from my ipad (3), this time it started to download only 296 media (3), and when SYNC finished I checked the deck's card list. yes there are a lot of missing card files.

so its like this 799 cards (All have media) ==> says 766 upload ==> downloads 296 media.
a.jpg
a) store media on = dropbox -- app error
a.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 8817 times

Other than this test, In my previous %100 UPLOAD DECK TO APP SERVER, AND DOWNLOAD FROM APP SERVER by DECK CODE , after download app used to show a media download report after downloads something like this (lets say 900 cards and each have media) it says : 880 succesfull, 20 couldnt download, retry ? Or Ok ?,, (even if I tried it coulnd download this very 20(missing media) somehow so I used to say OK!!! .So this was not comfortable too. I used to add this 20 cards one by one or just ignore them.

I came to me that is about the lenght of the media file name!, this can be the problem. Some times they are too long.I usually use my phone to add photos to my cards. Forexample I have 100 cards of a deck, while I studying it, I go 1 by 1 for each card I google the word search a photo , download it to my phone, and then attach it to card, when I attach I had never had an error. But it seems that some of those google images photos they have very long file names. App doesnt give an error while attaching but it can have issues while SYNC. this can be about both file name lenght and characthers in file name.

I would appreciate you solve both. I never prepare photos on computer I dont have such a time so it should accept and SYNC, whatever the file name (in means of lenght and characters), because I do no edits of file name and I can not.

app Sync, seems cool Ernie. And I m ready to do another test whenever you want.

thanks in advance.
Attachments
b.jpg
b) store media on= app server
b.jpg (251.31 KiB) Viewed 8817 times
turgutbekil

Postby turgutbekil » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Hello Ernie;

For the scond part of my above message, I did a test, I exported a deck (with full photos) from my app to APP server, and then tried to download it by deck code to my ipad2 , but as you see 13 cards failed to download.
download.jpg
download problem
download.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 8802 times

I deleted to deck from ipad2 and tried something else.

Then I downloaded the dect file and media ZİP file to my computer, I checked the media files they are all Ok.(They are successfully uploaded and download).
and I moved them to DROPBOX by myself (I also add the media file name a "media) and then tried to download the deck from DROPBOX to my ipad2 , it downloaded intact. All media without any problems, including 13 attached to the cards.

So the problem is DIRECT DOWNLOAD FROM APPSERVER , after direct upload to appserver.

Turgut
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Turgut,

Shoot. I was really hoping for much better results.
Thank you for your time and effort and willingness to to help me out! Sorry for the trouble.

Can you share with me this deck of 799 cards, along with all the media files? I want to do some tests on my end with this deck.
Below is my email. If willing, you can email me the text or Excel file. I'm not sure how to transfer the media, but maybe you can zip and share a link using Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.

Ernie
et@orangeorapple.com

P.S. I won't be able to really work on this until next Monday, as I have out of town guests this week.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Hello Ernie;

No problem . If I can little help to make this great app , even greater, I would love to do it and its a pleasure to me. Real thanks to you for listening, answering and all your effort for this app. I am going to share the deck with media from dropbox, I am going to mail asap.

see y
turgutbekil

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback