Deck sharing with Dropbox not working

Deck sharing with Dropbox not working

Postby Jilt » Tue May 28, 2019 5:57 am

Dear Ernie,

First of all, thank you for this very useful app. I'm a teacher of Dutch and use it to provide my students with vocabulary+pictures+sounds to practice at home.
I managed to set this app up for the first time with one student and it all worked fine. After that, I appear to have suffered some kind of stroke in the technical part of my brain: I've had several students who can not access my decks, and I can't help them, because I don't know what's going wrong.
I really prefer to use Dropbox, because I like the automatic uploading from my HD to the server, so that the decks are immediately accessible to the student.
Currently, I have a deck in my Dropbox/Flashcards Deluxe folder that I shared with a student. The shared folder appeared in the FD app and all he had to do was click on it. The folder now appears in his phone screen, but it does not contain any files, whilst according to my computer, the files are clearly there. Are we looking at the same folder?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Kind regards,
Jilt
Jilt

Re: Deck sharing with Dropbox not working

Postby Ernie » Thu May 30, 2019 3:19 am

Hi Jilt,

Sorry for the slow response.

Is he using his own Dropbox account? The procedure would be:
You create a folder in /Dropbox/Flashcards Deluxe/
Share that folder with student.
Student can then create "Flashcards Deluxe" folder (in root) if not already created, then move the Shared folder into this directory.
Student logs in from within the app, using 2nd option! First option will use "Apps" subfolder, which can't be used with shared folders.

So as a test, the student can look at his Dropbox contents outside of Flashcards Deluxe, and look to folder /Dropbox/Flashcards Deluxe/<shared folder>/ and then notice if any of your files are there. If so, they should be seen from within the app.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Deck sharing with Dropbox not working

Postby Jilt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 am

Hi Ernie,

Thank you for your explanation. I haven't had time to test it yet, but I'm confident that this was causing the problem.
I guess I got all confused about this, because I don't remember that my first student I used the app with had especially to create the Flashcards Deluxe folder in her root map. She is the only one who regularly uses my decks, whilst with the other students I stumbled into this seemingly unsolvable problem. Also, with her the decks are in the 'App' folder, and apparently I have to move them to 'Flashcard Deluxe' folder now.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Jilt
Jilt

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback