Version 2.6 submitted

Version 2.6 submitted

Postby Ernie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:45 am

I don't believe it. You won't believe it. I finally submitted my new version to Apple today. I'm so happy to have it done. It should be available for download in a couple weeks (after Apple approves it). I want to thank Katja and Norbert for their invaluable help with testing the app. Katja in particular spent a lot of time with my beta version and provided tons of important feedback (finding bugs and noting improvements to make). Thank you!!!

Release notes:

IMPORTANT: Please backup your decks before installing update. If you’d rather not backup, consider waiting a few days before updating to make sure no issues have been found. I’ve tested extensively, but there have been major internal changes this update.

• Performance improvements with downloading and loading of decks. (You want to load a 100,000 card dictionary on your iPhone 4? Go for it.)

• Support for up to:
5 sides
4 categories
4 sets of statistics per card

• A new text import format is needed to use these new fields. (The old import format is still supported.) Please see OrangeOrApple.com for details on this new optional format.

• Each card can now have more than one set of statistics. This can be useful when studying the opposite direction of a language, and you want this other direction to have its own study schedule. To use this with your Short Term Goal or Spaced Repetition deck, go to the "Show Side First" setting and look for "Statistics Set" option at the bottom. There is more help in this option screen.

• Spaced Repetition: main deck listing now shows exact number of due cards. "Cards to Study" filters are now accounted for here.

• The card listing screen has been updated. You can now show up to five columns of text. There are options to remember your last view setting and to show your most recent card additions at the top. Also, you can now search multiple terms by separating them with a space.

• Bulk select in the card listing screen now supports 1) changing the status or flag and 2) clearing the category for multiple cards at once.

• Combination decks now have their own "Cards to Study" settings, instead of relying on the settings of the "base" deck. If your combination deck used criteria/filtering, you will need to re-setup this.

• A new "Notes" field. Each card can have "notes" that you associate with the card. These notes can include web links (assuming internet connection when studying). When studying, if a card has notes associated with it, you will see a green "n" at the bottom and can view them using the bottom-middle shortcut menu. For more information, there is help in the Notes setting found at the bottom of the card edit screen.

• For advanced users: you can now import and export the entire database using Apple’s Settings app. Media files are not backed up this way, so this feature may have limited use.
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Version 2.6 submitted

Postby Losang » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 pm

woohooo!!! i've been waiting until my neck got long! :D
Losang

Postby ririzarry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:02 am

Great news and I'm looking forward to added capabilities for an already fantastic app.

Any thoughts on integration with Dropbox, Google Docs, etc?

Rob
ririzarry

Postby Ernie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Dropbox / Google Docs integration work will start pretty soon. I might take a few weeks to work on some simplifying of the UI for basic users, improving in-app documentation, and a little localization (translation) work.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:15 am

Arrived! quick check done, seems that all works fine.
Thanks Ernie for so many enhancements.
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Ernie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:25 am

Katja,

Thanks so much for letting me know that you updated successfully. My fear is that something might go wrong with the update process and users will lose their data. I haven't heard of any problems so far (though not many have updated yet). I will feel much more relaxed in a couple days assuming no major issues found.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Oli » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:08 am

Love this app so much and can't wait to install the update. Gonna wait a few days as recommended as I have so many decks that I don't want to lose. Thanks for all the hard work though; best money I spent in the App Store.
Oli

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:29 am

Wow !!
I love your "beautifull" App !! Very usefull ! VERY Helpfull ! Is the best i ever see for learning. So many usefull statistics....... it still works !

The Update Process works without any issue for me. I have a few decs inside there.

BUT one thing i MISS now !! Please give back the copy&paste Menue in the Cards, where i create it. Before i have my color cheme for one side, and the Vocabs. There i copy all the time it, and PASTE it for a new Card.
But now i cannot copy or paste it... I realy miss it ! I must write now all cards on my Computer, upload it, and then download it from your Server, then i have it.. hmm..

Or can i do something other now?

Thanks for help !

Greetings
Chris
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 am

ohoh.. i´m sorry. i´m sorry.. Before i try it many times.. but now it works, after a new start. before i see only the marked word, without a copy, or select menue. i never see this before..

Great App !
Chris

Postby Ernie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:51 am

Chris, I'm glad it's working. I've had people in my older version say they can't see a copy-paste option in my app, but I never figured out why. A device restart may have fixed this, at least temporarily. It sounds like you are OK now. Thanks.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi Ernie, just dropped by to offer my compliments on the new update, and I wanted to let you know I've updated successfully.

I really appreciate your continued support of the app, all the new features, and so forth. Thank you!
Tony

Postby Joe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi Ernie,

Thanks a lot for such a great app. I have at least 5000 cards spread over 30 decks and the new update 2.6 worked flawlessly. I have used the new backup feature with the "import to email" option without a problem. In regard to the copy and paste menu disappearing, yes, this has been a problem for me for some time now. It happens when I copy to the clipboard and then go into Flashcard Deluxe to add Side 1, 2, or 3. For me, the way around this is to exit FD and then I must also delete the FD icon from the multitasking menu. When I reenter FD the menu always appears without fail. It may have something to do with multitasking, because it seems to happen at random and in the background.
Joe.
Joe

Postby Losang » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Phew! (wipes sweat off eyebrows) update worked and my cards all intact :lol:
Losang

Postby Ernie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Hey Losang!

Glad to hear. It looks like the update is going well. I had one person with a problem from having over 100 categories in the old version (not sure how he got that to happen) which crashed the update process, but the good news is that I have the new database export/import thing so people can send me their database and I can fix it. I just didn't want to have to do that for 1,000 people.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby thoailong87 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Ernie,

Great update! I have just two minor questions:

1) Do headings such as Text 1, Text 4, etc. always need to be in Row 1 when using Excel with the new method? Just want to make sure since this wasn't the case in the previous iteration.

2) Using the new method and the Media Dir option with Dropbox, do I still need to type out "<pic picture.jpg>" in the cells, or can I just simply type out "picture.jpg" now?

Thanks buddy!

David
thoailong87

Postby Ernie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi. David,

The "Text 1" header just needs to be before the first card's data, but not nessessarily at the top, or on row 1.

With this new format, do not use <pic> tags anymore. Just type "picture.jpg". The header will tell the app that it's a picture name.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby norbert » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Ernie, please close this part of the forum only to your posts, the thread here has nothing to do with Developer's Blog. This should be discussed in the normal section.

Thanks

Norbert
norbert

Postby Ernie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Norbert,

I understand, but 1) I think I want people to be able to reply to my blog entries and 2) most of the above posts are appropriate where they are, in my opinion. The downside is that people following my blog get noise they don't want to see, but I'd rather error on this side rather than stifle discussion. I'll give it more time to see how things work out, and/or move posts to their own topic when I think appropriate.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby MrPugh » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi Ernie!

I encountered a bug with the new version: sound recording does not work any more...
The application breaks down when I click the record button.

Thank you for the recent enhancements; using your application really makes fun - and it is even more fun with every new update!

MrPugh
MrPugh

Postby Losang » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 pm

MrPugh wrote:Hi Ernie!

I encountered a bug with the new version: sound recording does not work any more...
The application breaks down when I click the record button.

Thank you for the recent enhancements; using your application really makes fun - and it is even more fun with every new update!

MrPugh

just tested this sound recording by recording on my 3Gs using iOS4.1 by creating a one card deck... it is working in this configuration...
Losang

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Losang wrote:just tested this sound recording by recording on my 3Gs using iOS4.1 by creating a one card deck... it is working in this configuration...

More details from my crashing configuration: iPod Touch 3rd generation, iOS4.1

Postby Ernie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 pm

MrPugh,

It's working for me. Try removing all your apps from memory and restarting your device to see if that helps. Let me know.

Ok, this thread is now closed. Please use the general discussion board for new version related comments.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Developer's Blog