TTS Available

TTS Available

Postby Ernie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 pm

TTS (Text to speech) is included in my new update that will come out today. The following languages are currently supported: English (male/female), Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Spanish.

Legal notice: The sounds created may only be used in this app... you are not permitted to distribute these sounds outside of Flashcards Deluxe. Thanks.

TTS is in beta testing now and I need to slowly build up usage. To show the TTS option, go to: Global Options > View > Advanced > Show TTS Beta, and turn ON.

To get to the TTS option, at the main screen tap Edit, the deck, TTS Beta (at bottom). This beta option will not show up for Quizlet / shared library decks, but you can export a Quizlet deck and re-import to make it available. Then in the TTS screen, you will need to assign a "voice" to any side you want sound files for.

If interested, please try it out and give me feedback on any problems you encounter or suggestions you have.

A note on languages: The TTS product I use only has these 5 languages available, but I think they sound pretty good. They are also the same voices that Quizlet uses. Google does not authorize use of their sounds in this way, so I couldn't use them unfortunately. I can however use Microsoft's (Bing) TTS service. They don't sound that great, but I'll probably end up supporting other languages through Microsoft's free service.
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: TTS Available

Postby Ernie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:29 pm

More TTS notes:

Limitations: 150 characters max for English and Spanish; 75 characters max for Chinese, Korean, Japanese. (Anything over is ignored)
Known issue: No way to set voice back to "None" after setting it.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Developer's Blog