Formula Support (LaTeX?)

Formula Support (LaTeX?)

Postby felix » Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey,
is it possible to use embedded formulas on the flashcards? For example by using LaTeX Code on the Cards?
felix

Re: Formula Support (LaTeX?)

Postby Ernie » Mon May 16, 2011 1:27 pm

No, I don't have any plans to support LaTeX. You've got unicode at your disposal, or can create pictures with equations. The following website can help create pictures with formulas if you don't feel like hand drawing or picture taking:
http://www.codecogs.com/components/equa ... editor.php
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:15 am

..but really, do you have any plans to support latex?

Postby Ernie » Thu May 12, 2016 6:04 am

Still no plans to support LaTeX. Sorry.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby c0ldlimit » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

When I try to use "latex.codecogs dot com/gif.latex?Se^{-qt}\phi(d_1)" as a picture link, the app complains that it not a image extension. However it is in fact an image. Is there anyway to "trick" the app into thinking that the link is an image?
c0ldlimit

Postby Ernie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:50 am

Hi c0ldlimit,

I responded by email. Below is the response in case others may find it useful.

My app expects a URL to end in a valid filename + extension. Assume your URL is

https://abc.com?code=def

Try using
https://abc.com?code=def&/pic.jpg

The “&” is a start of an additional parameter. (The first parameter uses ?)
After that we put a slash and a file name to use when storing on the device. The URL should still work and it has the information the app expects (a slash and file name at end)
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby mathjax » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:33 am

If the Flashcard view is a web view, supporting LaTeX could be as simple as including a "script" tags to import MathJax from a CDN. (Alternatively, the script could be packaged with the app?)
mathjax

Postby Ernie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:34 am

mathjax,

Thanks for the info. I will try out adding the script header to my flashcard screen and see what happens (in my dev version) and see what happens. If it seems to work OK, I'll consider adding an option to include this support.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:50 am

I have a new version where I added support for MathJax.
If anyone wants to try out the Android version (before it gets released at some point), email me.

Ernie
et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:16 am

Is already available this new version with MathJax support?

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:20 pm

To enable support MathJax support:
Swipe left on deck (in Decks screen), Edit, Advanced, MathJax > On

You can let me know how it works for you.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm

It works really nice!! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply

Postby BeggarRN » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:07 pm

I'm making some equation-heavy decks and have been so far just using images.

I've followed this thread for years and was excited to see the MathJax implementation.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get it to work.

I've enabled the MathJax support as Ernie has described on 10/26/21 but when I place the following onto a card, it just shows up as the text, not as an interpreted formula

$$\sum_{i=0}^n i^2 = \frac{(n^2+n)(2n+1)}{6}$$

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?
BeggarRN

Postby Ernie » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 pm

BeggarRN,
Are you using Android or iOS. At first, neither work for me. Then iOS started working (not sure what changed) and Android still not working. I will look into it more on Monday.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby BeggarRN » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 pm

Thanks, Ernie.

I'm using Android 11 on a Samsung Note 20 Ultra.

I am authoring on Android for an iOS user.

BTW, between the exceptional quality of your product and your active and interested support, I've never hesitated to recommend your product to other people. Because people want the decks I've been creating, I've sold 5 copies of your app without even trying.

Thank you so much for the work that you're doing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited:

So it appears that the problem is, at least in part, due to the importation from the Excel sheet. Interestingly, when I typed it in manually on the card editor, it worked fine. When I import it through the spreadsheet, it just shows the characters... weird
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited #2:

Well, it appears to be a combination of operator error, some delay in Google showing a document as updated and when it's actually updated, and some rendering issues with your browser.

Operator error: I was occasionally deleting the deck and re-importing it... but failing to activate MathJax with the "new" deck.

Google delay: Patience has not typically been one of my strong suits...

Rendering: It works... OK... and is still a "win" from nothing at all but as shown in the following two screenshots, alignment is a problem. I suppose this is the reality of working on a small screen but portrait v. landscape doesn't change it and they're not getting "pinched" by the screen... and, at least the radical one, manifests nearly the same way on iOS and Android 11 (both large screens... I'll try it on a tablet to see if that makes a difference). This is hardly a show stopper but if it's something that can be fixed via settings of some sort, well that would take your fantastic app straight into the stratosphere of awesomeness!!
Attachments
Radical.jpg
Radical.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 32043 times
F=ma.jpg
F=ma.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 32043 times
BeggarRN

Postby Ernie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:15 pm

Thanks for your support! I'm happy to hear that you like the app.

You can turn on MathJax in your import file by adding header like below (spaces indicate new column). This goes before "Text 1" header row.
* math-jax 1

As for the rendering problem, I'm not sure. I just updated the mathjax coding in the app (dev version, for next release) and it seems to have improved something I was testing. Maybe it will improve your display also. The next update will likely be released by next week. If it still doesn't look good, you can email me a deck/card for me to test and I can give it a try. (Though if it doesn't work, I probably would not know what to do to fix it.)

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Bastian » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:15 pm

Hi!
I’m using MathJax but I can’t figure out how to use it on Combined Decks (I hope that’s the right translation.. „Kombinationsstapel“ in German)…
Can you help me?
Bastian

Postby Ernie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Hi Bastian,

Ah, yeah, there's no way to turn this on for Kombinationsstapel. I didn't add this.

There is an option when creating the Kombinationsstapel... Create a new one and turn on "Einstellungen nach Unterstapel"
This will use the "options" from each of the inside decks, instead of the options from Kombinationsstapel. Would this work for you?
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback