Editing in Google Sheets When Using Sync Feature

Editing in Google Sheets When Using Sync Feature

Postby AceKicker » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:04 pm

Hello. I love the app. Been using it on and off since around 2007-11. I just started using the sync function described in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0ivc0 ... ardsDeluxe) recently.

Question up front: Is there any way to edit and add flashcards in Google Sheets now that I use the sync feature?

Up until a few days ago, I used Google Sheets to download to my phone. Now I want to be able to go back and forth between two devices. It is working well. But when I went to add some more flashcards to a deck, my web browser shortcut to that Google Sheets file is in the trash. It looks like Flashcards Deluxe is creating new files often and deleting the old ones...I'm guessing for stats changes. My only problem with that is when I go into Google Docs - Flashcards Deluxe folder, add cards to the file, then download from the app, the app tells me "Download Error Deck code not found: <file name>
The file name in the error matches the file name in Google Drive. Is there any way to edit and add flashcards in Google Sheets now that I use the sync feature?
AceKicker

Re: Editing in Google Sheets When Using Sync Feature

Postby Ernie » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:48 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response.

The "App Server" sync uses the Flashcards Deluxe (FCD) server handling the syncing. This is what I recommend. A FCD account is required.
The general process is to add a deck (e.g. from Google Drive), turn on sync, sync that deck (which copies it to the cloud). Then on other device, turn on sync, and active that deck in the cloud, and it should then copy from cloud to 2nd device. Now they should stay in sync.

You will use Google Drive to add new decks and update existing decks. This is *independent* of the sync. No need to have the Sync use Google Drive.

Once you add a new deck from Google Drive, the "Deck Code" should be set and start with "G:". In the decks screen, swipe left on deck, tap Edit at right. Notice the Deck Code. Does it start with G: ? It should then be the file name.
If you want to update your deck, you'd first update the Google Sheet (outside of the app). Then in the app, tap Edit, Download/Update. It should redownload from Google Drive. If you get an error, does the Deck Code look valid?

You mentioned the app deleting your Google Sheet. This does not happen during a Sync. it only happens if you Export your deck to Google Drive. It will then trash your current version and export a new one. But Exporting may not be needed for any reason. Generally you'll just update your sheet, then run Download/Update from the app.

After your deck as been updated from Google, then sync will then handle copying the changes to your other device.
If need more guidance, let me know.
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback