Syncing between MacOS and Dropbox or IOS and Dropbox

Syncing between MacOS and Dropbox or IOS and Dropbox

Postby tassss » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:28 pm

When sync directories are/were formed inside dropbox there are two different locations created.
IOS APP: Dropbox/Flashcards Deluxe
MacOS APP: Dropbox/Apps/Flashcards Deluxe. (I think this might be the ipad app running on MacOS if this is confusing)

I am unable to figure out how to point the app to a directory on either device.
Since they are syncing to their different directories they are unaware of backups or different decks in the other syncing directory.
I can't download backup or sync statistics on either device from the other's directory.

1.Do you know how to change the sync location other than generic "dropbox"?
2.Do you know how to point to a backup in a different directory on dropbox?
3.Do you know how to get the two to sync to same directory.

Any help appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 6.27.39 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 6.27.39 AM.png (17.48 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
tassss

Re: Syncing between MacOS and Dropbox or IOS and Dropbox

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:02 pm

Hi,

When you log into Dropbox, there are two buttons. The first button will use the "Apps" subdirectory, the second will not (and use the Root folder instead).
Tap + (add deck), Dropbox. Tap Gear icon at top-right. You can see here which directory it's using. To change, Logout, then log back in.

The generally recommended approach is to use the first login option. This uses the "Apps" subfolder. The app will only have access to Apps/Flashcards Deluxe folder. The second option is a more legacy option, which will give the app access to your entire Dropbox folder (I think), but the app will of course still only look in the Flashcards Deluxe folder.

The Dropbox sync is not fully automatic. The "App Server" sync is newer and I think much better. If you are OK creating a new account and having your data stored on the app's server, I recommend you use the "App Server" sync.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback