Is it possible to remove someone from Group ?

Is it possible to remove someone from Group ?

Postby turgutbekil » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 pm

Hi Ernine ;

I you have added these nice features, where admin can share his/her own deck as "protected" to a group which can be entered by group name and password OR a join code (which can be a 1 shot use), so joiners (members) can download the deck but can not publish it ORRR -- edit it , which is a very good Killer feature.

So I have also seen that admin (deck owner) can see the group members too. Question is = can admin remove someone from the group ? yes / no_ ? if he can remove what happens to decks to this person downloaded to his/her app ?

THANK YOU ERnie!

Turgut
turgutbekil

Re: Is it possible to remove someone from Group ?

Postby Ernie » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:17 pm

Hi Turgut,

I don't actually offer a way to remove someone from a group. Maybe I should. If I did support this, they would still have access to the flashcards they downloaded, they just would not be able redownload (if a "protected" deck, since they can't export these) or would not be able to see NEW sets you publish.

Would this be an important feature for you?

If it want, you can email me, and I might be able to help you remove some users. Again, it would basically just stop them from seeing new sets you put on your group.
I suppose another option is to delete the group and create a new one.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:27 pm

Hi Ernie ;

I am a "business analysis" trainer, and besides I offer a section to my trainees where they receive my english learning hacks if they need to improve it. So since group is a kind of community, I would really appreciate if you add some extra features to this functionally which you already developed to an already very mature state.

If I did support this, they would still have access to the flashcards they downloaded, ---> this is not a problem. if they can not re-download new version of the existing cards or new incoming cards thats Ok.

Assuming that you will give a chance to this feature (I think its a greate complement to what you already did) i f we talk more precisely , you have 2 option to enter a group =

1) By group name and password => This requires "shared library account" which is a user name / they need password and group name too. So to list these users it can be easy because they have a "shared library account" and admin can (may) know who is who and select a person and remove him/her group. they would still have access to the flashcards they downloaded--> But thats Ok, understandable. I dont expect you to erase them from users app :)

One question = with this method login to a group , password is one time action right ? --> I mean the person entered to the group with password and he/she doesnt require the password to visit the group for example to redownload the decks. If you add group removal functionality I guess their account is related with the group all the time as long as if they logined to their account or if they didnt leave the group by themselves.

2) By USING CODES => this is very cool functionality. but This doesnt require "shared library account" , I think you can not list these users in group members page right ? SO they can not be selected + removed. Because they dont have "shared library account" (a username/identity). IF password login only gives a anonymous user 1 time visit (if code is set as 1 time use) and download of a group content ,thats Ok too , becuase they are not becoming a real member. ıf so , you can exclude these users from removal functionality. BUT what we miss here is, I see that, you list if a CODE is used or not. very good. BUT if you can also record by whom the CODE is used that would be awesome. if you say that = they dont have "shared library account" (identity) so we can not record this, then thats understandable.

===> BUT Then if you add something like this =
+++ for example when we generate a code , we enter into the code itself and send this code to someones email within the code (at the moment to take code from there and write to someoen is really difficult :) -- so you can record the email itself as well (on the code) * so this code means is dedicated to be used by this email address owner. and when the owner wants to use it he/she enters the email address + code (it should match) -- so this can be a good identity check for the usage. Again if these users are not becoming permament members of the group thats ok. they can use 1 time password to get cards for 1 time OR they they can USE a code repeatedly (as specified times by admin) and get updates but each time they need to enter the CODE + Email I guess. since they are tracked by their email (code usage) they dont have to be listed on the group members list (or can they be by email ? - then they have to be distinguished with password loginers)..
+1 thing. at the moment you track for CODES if the code is used or not, but can you also add if after code usege person downloaded any decks or not -- but this is nice to have.

These are my ideas. so these can be a very good supplement to what you already did. And Deck owners can manage a bit if their content is at right hands or not :)
PROTECTED GROUP decks or PROTECTED DECKS can not be distributed, extracted or edited rithgT? then can only be updated by a re-visit to the group I guess. 1 more question : for example I am a group member and downloaded a DECK(name= 1)-with deck CODE(deck Id I mean) = lets say 1000. then if owner update it deck on hisher app as DECK(name= 2)-with deck CODE(deck Id I mean) = lets say 2000. ALL SAME DECK... will the group member see this as a new deck or if he/she downloads it will it overwrite the existing deck in members app.

SORRY for the long message but dont write very often :) thanks anyways Ernie. so if you consider above I would be very happy as a trainer now =)

Turgut
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:16 pm

Hi Turgut,

Let's start with the simple stuff first.
If In Public Search is OFF, then setting either the group as protected or the deck as protected will cause the deck to "protected" and un-exportable.
If In Public Search is ON (I don't think that would be your case), then you need to specify at deck level.

When you re-upload a deck, the app will tell you if you are updating an existing deck, right? In this case, it’s the same deck with a new version, and the users should have the option to update their existing deck. When you upload to the shared library the first time, a “library deck id” is saved hidden with the deck. So you can then change name and deck code, and it should still upload to the shared library as a deck update, not a new deck. I think this is how it works.

I like “join codes”. Because the users don’t have to create an account. Most users probably don’t want to have to create an account. Less accounts the better!

You can create a batch of say 100 codes (10 at a time) and email them to yourself. You have a spreadsheet on your computer than you can maintain, along with emails, names, dates, whatever. Easy access. I don’t think the app needs to get involved with a user’s email. (Less personal information from the user, the better!) The app has a join code. You know what join code goes with what user (one code per user). I think this is good enough. If you limit one code per user, no need to add on extra personal info in the app, which I likely don’t have anyway.

Have you considered switching purely to join codes? If wonder if this would simply your membership management. Another reason I say this is that adding support to remove a member will require some work on my end. Me adding support for ONE of these join ways (code vs account) is more likely to get done! So I will ask you, which is more important to you, being able to remove a library account or a code, if you had to pick one?

The app will check ownership before any deck is downloaded from the library. So if a user is removed from the group, or a deck code is removed, the user would immediately lose the ability access new material from the library, or update an existing deck. This is what would be expected from a security standpoint.

I’m thinking if you were on board with switching to purely join codes, and I offered a way to remove a join code, that might solve your basic problems. ?
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:12 am

Hi Ernie ;

I alredy have to use 1 time codes. (if not library password option). And 1 time codes can not be used again, which is good and eliminateds to need to block it - its already eliminated after 1 usage. But you can not track if the code is used or not (now). and users are not listed I guess in members , because they dont have an identity. so its not a real membership if you keep code endless usage. (1 time and endless is meaningfull in between is not very meaningful).

Join Codes are still very good features but doesnt serve to member management and ı THİNK should NOT be bended over very much to server membership management.
So Keep coDE usage same do not touch (maybe just you can flag if the code is used or how many times used by the user - user info @admin external).

Actually, a real membership and to list who has access to the group comes from library account usage. YOu already have it. Why not just list the members who joined with a password and group name. and let us actually, remove a member from there. BUT user will still have the name of group and pass so its another challange if you change it, it effects all others too. password distribution is not easy. SO - group name and password change is not very common and necessery, so why not do like this, if someone has groupname and passwrod when these both used, drop a confirmation (Again in member lists, like members/waiting members) and admin can approve them to come inside. end you can add / remove someone multiple time if necessary (removeming also shouldnbe = user can not join again etc.).

OOR you can merger, in member list = members (With name and password) - removable. AND codes itself (if used at least 1 time) - and again with an option to remove code too (at the moment if you delete code I think code is not usable again - so do the same i you can delete a code from codes page or from members paga. so members page like = MEMBERS (library accounts) / MEMBER CODES (CODES only - but who is code owner -- > appdoesnt know adamin know (maybe he adds a small note to code -(already there I guesS). THen BOTH removable. SO member PAGE 3 tabs :

a) Waiting Members (library accounts) waiting for confirmation (they used password and waiting owner confirmation).
b) MEMBERs (coming from confirmed a's).
c) MEMBER codes - 1 time or multiple times (With usage amounts used at least 1) , code+howmany time used. if you make codes clickable it can direct to codes page so admin can see code note (Which can be used to register for whom it was created for ) - and delete the code if necessary. if code is deleted its removed from membership too.

and all B-C removable.

how is this ?

TURGUT
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:37 pm

I agree that removing user accounts from your group is complicated because they still have password to group. I think adding ability to require owner to admit/accept user to group is too complicated.

I don't understand why Join Codes are not good member management...
If you give a code to a user, they are a member. You can let them use the code once, or twice (for a second device). I don't understand why allowing for two uses is not very meaningful.
Does it matter if they actually use the code? You give a code, they are a member. You can assume they are using your flashcards.
Do you need to see which set of flashcards a user downloads?
If you don't want a user to download any new material, deleting a Join Code would seem to solve that.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:59 am

Hi Ernie ;

=)))

oK, 1 question, this can be tried but = , you say :

If you don't want a user to download any new material, deleting a Join Code would seem to solve that. ===> so join codes are usable as long as they are at decks' join code listing page right ? .. if they are deleted they can not be used..

İf you add usage amount to the code (I know its difficult , you need to supply data back from cloud to deck :)-- ,then that would be nice, so that admin can see what join code is redundant etc (and can delete it) otherwise that list will be a long list by time... than that would be fine.

1 more thing = for groups (group name and password login) = do you list group members (who joined with shared library account and password) UNDER = GROUP MEMBERS , tab on group detail page ? -- if yes thats good. - and if yes how do you capture this ? --> do you attatch accounts who used the password and login at least once ?

lowering expectations :) come on give a feature , I had really good work here to improve out beloved app :)

turgut
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:15 pm

In the Join Codes screen, there is a row "View Codes (__)"
Tap to view the codes you've created.
It shows you the usage! It shows when the code was created, the # of usages // # total times it can be used
If you export by email, you'll get an Excel file with this info.

You can also already delete the code. I forgot. Tap the code and there is an option to delete.

As for the "group members", this is independent of the join codes. Yes, they are shown if they login to the group using name+password at least one-time.
If you have a user you'd like to remove, you can email me and request that I remove them. But currently, no way to do this within the app. (They will still have password if you haven't changed.)

Maybe everything is done then.?
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:53 pm

Hi ;

Ok Ernine, thank you !! -- I will test these.

turgut
turgutbekil

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback