Storage or Card limit?

Storage or Card limit?

Postby andrew » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:31 am

Is there a limit to the number of cards that can be stored in FCD? Product description says 10,000+ which seems to imply a limit. Thinking through learning several languages and want to future proof my approach. So while 10,000+ seems a lot it could be limiting when you think are thinking about several languages.
andrew

Re: Storage or Card limit?

Postby Ernie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:28 pm

There is no actual limit. No space limit, other that what's available on your device. The app is quite efficient at handling large number of cards, as far as speed goes, so that shouldn't be a problem. The issue that is most likely to occur is memory problems on Android. Android seems to generally give apps less memory than iOS, especially on older devices. Newer devices should be OK. The app is kind of memory hog, and Android either won't give the app enough memory in more extreme cases or Java just isn't as efficient as iOS.

I just tried a test with importing 100K cards (not 10K cards), two sides, each side with random 20 characters. Android imported fine. Everything was quick. I could browse and search cards smoothly. But when I tried 40 characters on each side (still 100K cards), it crashed on my newish Pixel device. The opening of Excel data during import uses a lot of memory there, so processing that probably broke it. I'm guessing that if you import the same data but for multiple decks, it would work fine. Both 100K card tests worked fine on my old iPhone X.

That should give you an idea. I personally wouldn't worry about it and would assume the app can handle whatever you actually want to put through at it. I also assume things will improve over the years with larger device memory, and maybe improvements my code's efficiency over the coming years.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Storage or Card limit?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:29 pm

Thanks Ernie!!

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback