Variations on TTS reading

Variations on TTS reading

Postby davilla77 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:39 am

Hi, so I'm brand new and it took me a little while to figure out how to use the shared deck I downloaded. Now I think I've got it mostly figured out, except for this issue I'm kind of stuck on. There's probably a workaround but I want to make sure an easier way doesn't already exist.

This text to speech is a game changer, by the way. What I'm trying to do is add a different voice on the back side of the card, to read the same text in the target language at a slower speed. In the custom layout, there doesn't seem to be a way to line up voices with sides, it's just one to one.

I'm guessing what I'd have to do, and it may not really be worth the effort, is to export the cards and duplicate the target language data. Probably what I'll do instead is just create a separate layout with the slower voice, which I'll switch to only while I'm initially learning the cards.

Thanks for any insight! -David
davilla77

Re: Variations on TTS reading

Postby Ernie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:31 am

Hi David,

It sounds like you have things pretty well figured out. Correct, the TTS voice applies to a Text item, so you can't have different voice/speed for the same text item on different sides.

I like maintaining my flashcards in Excel, so for me, exporting and creating a new column (e.g. Text 3, or whatever) with a copy of the text for a different speed, would be easy enough. But it makes the deck a little more messy.

"Probably what I'll do instead is just create a separate layout with the slower voice, which I'll switch to only while I'm initially learning the cards."
I was doing some testing, and I don't think the app works this way. The TTS voice/speed settings are "global" for the deck so changing the TTS setting in one layout will change it for all layouts.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback