text to speech (adding pauses)

text to speech (adding pauses)

Postby manjade » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 am

I have realised that adding a comma between words makes the TTS pause, but is there another way of doing this? as sometimes commas can have other meanings.
eg. is the answer side of the card has two words, a comma is suitable to separate the two options (eg. someone, somebody); but if the answer side has a phrase, a comma might already be in the sentence (eg. please, don't / do not do that) - is there another symbol which would have the "pause" effect I am looking for? (the slash doesn't work btw)
thanks
A
manjade

Re: text to speech (adding pauses)

Postby Ernie » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:54 am

I don't have any special support for TTS pauses. This is something I should like add though eventually.

If a comma works OK for you, you might try using the "Alternative TTS Text" feature. See the gear icon in the TTS screen. You'd have to repeat the text you want for TTS, for example:
please, don't / do not do that [please, don't, do not do that]

If you are using Amazon Polly, let me know. I think there's a way to add HTML to add a pause. If interested, I can look into it.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby manjade » Sun May 16, 2021 12:48 am

I am using siri (as I update my cards frequently, using amazon requires too much updating and downloading)

I found instructions for how to get siri to pause for a period of time: using an ellipsis (...) or a comma (,) adds a slight pause
but using the [[slnc]] command adds a pause for a give period of time, eg: [[slnc 3500]] (adds a pause of 3.5 seconds)
Unfortunately, this doesn't work in FCD, the voice just reads the command as if it were text.
Is this something which could be implemented?
regards
A
manjade

Postby Ernie » Sun May 16, 2021 4:19 am

That command doesn't appear to work on iOS (based on what I'm reading online).

- (dash)
: (colon)
... (3 dots)

These all produce the same small pause on my device. I still think there's nothing much that can be done on your end until I add some special programming support to deal with this. With my focus on "shared library" stuff now, I don't see myself getting to this for at least another 6 months.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback