Automatic email of results? Answer Text option Multiple Choi

Automatic email of results? Answer Text option Multiple Choi

Postby MattC » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:01 am

Hi

Really enjoying the app which I am using (at the moment) to help my son learn Spanish.

2 questions:

1. Is it possible for the quiz results to be emailed automatically without having to choose the option manually each time? I ask this as I have to depend on my (disorganised) 11 year old to choose this at the end of each quiz, and he doesn't always remember. Alternatively, are the results for each quiz stored somewhere where I can view them if he does forget? I can find stats but not the actual answers to the quiz quesitons...

2. Is there an option in Multiple Choice where I choose which Text (1 or 2) is the question / answer? There is this option under the Spelling option. IE A the moment the multiple choice text 1 option only asks the question in Spanish with the answers in English. It is possible to reverse this? (aside from uploading a new deck with text 1 and 2 reversed there)?

Hope you can help.
MattC

Re: Automatic email of results? Answer Text option Multiple

Postby MattC » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:51 am

...and following on from this...Apologies up front for the detail here; I want to underline how useful I find this app, trying to maximise what is already head and shoulders above anything else I've tried.

1. It it possible to set up some kind of automated sequcence of decks? The idea here is that I set up 3 or 4 diffrern decks with quizzes for him to get on with while I'm working, each deck quiz moving straight to the next, withouth him having to select from a menu? The iam is to give him as few chances to skip work as possible. I can see that creatign one large deck might solve this, but this isn't ideal partly because he will lose motivation in a long quiz an d partly because ultimately it will mean more spreadsheet admin for the decks behind the scenes.

2. Stupid question but it's defeating me - how do I exit a deck and return to main menu without having to shut down and re-open the app?

3. Lastly - at the moment I'm using this mainly in quiz rather than study mode. He is supposed to have done the studying part at school / for homework. In this mode is it possible to switch between which card is used as question and answer BEYOND Side 1 and 2? I have 4 sides at the moment - a Spanish Sound, a Spanish text, an English test, and a Spanish AND English text. He is dyslexic so I like the option of a spanish sound being the question, with the answer being the spanish text (testing his spelling - Side 1 Question, Side 2 Answer); but i I woudl also like the flexibility of of having him translate into English text from Spanish sound Spanish (Side 1 Question, Side 3 Answer). Or write both the Spanish text and English translation as the answer in answer to a Spanish sound (side 1 Quesiton, Side 2 Answer).Or just having an English Text as Question and Spanish Text as Answer - or vice versa (Side 3 Question, Side 2 Answer or Side 2 Question , Side 3 Answer). I know that seems super-complex ( I guess it is) - but if it's possible to manipualte these options from one Deck from within the app settings it wd cut down a lot on my spreadsheet admin...
MattC

Postby Ernie » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:17 am

Hi Matt,

I don't have a way to auto-email results, and results are not stored anywhere, so I don't have any solution to give you here. I will be working on new quiz features in a month or so, so I think about these requests of yours. You may want to get back to me in a month when my mind is more ready to think about this topic. I plan to have a way to send quiz results to my server and teachers/parents can retrieve from their own device. But this plan also involved downloading decks from Shared Library, which would provide a way for Library Group owner to retrieve results. I also have a plan to have option for quizzes be "protected" so that the deck can only be used for a quiz and can't be manipulated nor can contents be browsed (from card listing).

I'm not sure about auto-starting next quiz. This seems too narrowly focused. I doubt something like this would get implemented.

To return to deck listing from study screen. There should be a back arrow at top-left of study screen. If it's hidden, you can still press top-left corner of screen to go back. You can also tap top-center of screen to toggle the visibility of these top icons.

You last question was about different question and answer possibilities. The app has a "Card Layout" setting are in "deck options". Here you can map any of your text/sound items to question or answer. New terminology: "Text 1", "Text 2", "Sound 1"... these are defined in the card edit screen (or in your spreadsheet) and don't change. Text 1 might be Spanish and Text 2 might be English. I would record (or add TTS) to Sound 1 (which goes with Text 1"). Now "Side 1" is always the question. "Side 2" is always the answer. You can have more sides when not in spelling/multiple-choice mode. With "Card Layout", you can map say "Sound 1" to "Side 1" (question) and "Text 1" to "Side 2" (answer). In the app, go to deck options, card layout. Tap "Custom 1" to select. To edit, tap Edit, Custom 1. There is help in this next screen.

The problem with the above is that I only give two "custom layouts" to work with. In your case, I would turn on "Advanced Layout" in deck options. This will allow you to create different views and easily switch between them. A "Layout" is different than a "Card Layout". A "Layout", which only exists when "Advanced Layout" is turned on, includes most of the regular deck options PLUS a single "card layout" setup. I really to create a video for this.

I created a sample deck for you. Tap +, Private Deck. For deck code, enter "spexample" (sp example).
I created 3 different layouts.

It's probably a pain to get up to speed with, but I think it's worthwhile to learn. Other option is you just create different decks for different directions.

Check it out. Let me know if you have question. Also let me know if you have more suggestions. Again, I want to improve some of the current quiz functionality (along with a variety of sharing updates), so I'm ready to listen to related suggestions.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby MattC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 am

Thanks Ernie, that's really helpful and much appreciated.

I will definitely keep an eye on developments around the reportnig of quiz results.

Re the question / answer permutations, it seems clear to me that in spelling or mutiple choice mode only 1 question side and 1 answer side are possible. i am fine to work around that and get what I want via spreadsheets. It's still an excellent app.

I guess that would be the area I would flag up as useful for me to develop... ie a setting where a quesiotn can have a 2 part (or more) answer per question (especially in spelling). For example, the question and first answer could be: Sound 1 (spoken spanish word). Answer 1 wd be to write the word in Spanish. Answer 2 (of the same question) wd be to write the transaltion of the word in English. And for it to be possible to reverse this process - ie start with a spoken English word as question: answer 1 to be written English, answer 2 to be written Spanish.

Just my penny's worth of thoughts.

Thanks again

Matt
MattC

Postby Ernie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:51 pm

"it seems clear to me that in spelling or mutiple choice mode only 1 question side and 1 answer side are possible"

I don't really know how to interpret this. In MC (multiple choice) and spelling, there is a single question. For spelling, you can specify that answer A OR answer B is an acceptable correct answer. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for.

"setting where a question can have a 2 part (or more) answer per question"

Maybe your part one above is related to this... you want a single card to create multiple question and answer combinations. This is where "advanced layout" can help. Advanced Layout can created multiple questions from a single card. One of the main tricks is that you'll need to use a different Statistics Set for each layout.

For example:
Layouts
Spanish sound -> Spanish: question = sound, answer = spanish text, stat set #1
Spanish text -> English text: question = spanish, answer = english, stat set #2
English text -> Spanish text: stat set #3

You can activate one, two or all three of the above layouts during a question. If all 3, then each card should create 3 "flashcards" (question/answer combos) during a test.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby MattC » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:39 am

Hi Ernie

Thanks again for your very thorough reply. And apologies for not being clear.

I had misunderstood and your explanation below about the Advanced Setting looks like exactly what I am after. I will implement it right away.

Thanks very much once again!
MattC

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback