A workflow for synonyms

A workflow for synonyms

Postby sashabe » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 am

Hi!

Thanks for a great app. I've been using it for many years now.

What is bothering me most is an issue of not being able to have cards with synonyms to be marked as correct, two-way, when using Spelling mode.

For example, consider a deck with these cards (Estonian-English pair). What I've been doing is separating synonyms in the same language with a semicolon:

Code: Select all
(text 1: Estonian) mõrv; täpmine
(text 2: English) killing; murder

(text 1: Estonian) teadaanne; avaldus; kuulutus
(text 2: English) announcement

(text 1: Estonian) scientist
(text 2: English) teadur; teadlane

FCD tests against the whole answer. So I always get graded 'wrong' when I'm typing, for example, just 'täpmine' or just 'mõrv' for the first example or 'teadur' for the 3rd one.

I'd like it though to understand that all these words are just synonyms and to accept any of them as a correct answer.

Ideally it would be nice to have the same mechanism applied both ways, so that when 'Show Side First' deck setting is set to 'Random' or 'Alternate', i could type 'teadaanne' or 'avaldus' as an answer to 'announcement' and have it marked as a correct one.

I've seen an advice to separate words with a semicolon and a line break (I only input new words via the app itself), but it didn't work.

Is there any mechanism for reproducing this? Maybe adding more sides? I tried to dig into it by using custom layouts and additional text fields, but came to nothing.

Thanks!
sashabe

Re: A workflow for synonyms

Postby Ernie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi,

In Deck Options > Spelling, did you turn on "Multiple Correct Answers"? If turned on, you should be able to answer any one of the semicolon-separated values. If it still doesn't work, let me know.

Don't use a line break.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby sashabe » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks! I thought i need to use semicolon with the linebreak, but just semicolon has worked.

One more question - is text in parentheses always ignored in the spelling mode? So, if i have ‘Mõrv’ as text 1 and ‘Killing (noun)’ in a card, would i have to type ‘Killing (noun)’ or just ‘Killing’ is enough for a correct answer?
sashabe

Postby Ernie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Text in parenthesis is always ignored. Also, anything after the first line (line break) is ignored.

I wasn't sure if text inside parenthesis is optional, but I just did a test and it appears that if you type the parenthesis part in your answer, the app marks it wrong, so you must exclude the parenthesis part to get a correct answer.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby sashabe » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:59 pm

What do you mean by excluding? So the text in parentheses is ignored but not excluded when checking the answer?
I had somewhat confusing results myself when i tried different combinations of words inside and outside of parentheses...
sashabe

Postby Ernie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:15 pm

I was wrong in one regard, it does appear that text inside parenthesis is optional.

If side 2 is "run (noun)"
Then for a correct spelling answer, ether "run" or "run (noun)" should work as a correct answer.

If side 2 is "run (noun) away"
Then for a correct spelling answer, ether "run away" or "run (noun) away" should work as a correct answer.

If you see different results, let me know.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby sashabe » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:10 am

Ok, thanks for the explanation.
sashabe

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback