Press and hold to scroll

Press and hold to scroll

Postby Max » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Hey Ernie,

1) today I have updated FCD. I realized that when you‘re in the scrolling mode (by long pressing the card) you can now leave this mode by long pressing the card again, not only by pressing the „x“ in the upper right hand corner as it has been before. I don‘t know if this change was intentionally, however I have to say that I liked the way it was before better, because now I often leave the scrolling mode by accident.

2) Another little remark: I know that a while ago you made it a little easier to postpone cards in spaced learning mode. It would be great though if there would be a one-press-to postpone-option in the settings for those who want and need it. Although there has been a significant change in this respect, it would still make it a little more comfortable to postpone a bigger set of cards.

Best wishes!!
Max
Max

Re: Press and hold to scroll

Postby Ernie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi Max,

Yes, the long-press to leave scroll mode was an intended change. I like the current ability, but I will take feedback from others and see if this is a common complaint. How do you accidentally leave scroll mode? I guess when you are in scroll mode, your thumb sits on the screen a bit in preparation for scrolling (while you are reading/thinking) and then it triggers the leave. I'll add this to my list to look into more. Thanks for the feedback.

For postpone, I assume you added the "study button" to the bottom, giving you a two tap solution. A one-tap option would require a default duration, no? I don't think I'll change anything here at this time, but let me think about it.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby mt20 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:15 pm

hi Ernie,

Thanks for the update. Today i also realized this feature and i was frustrated since in IOS you have to long press to see the dictionary meaning of the selected word. it does not work anymore, and it was really helpful. I would prefer the previous version better. Thanks again.

murat

!!
mt20

Postby Max » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:37 am

Yeah, let me describe some situations when this happens:
• most often it happens as you have described it; resting the finger on the screen for just too long when reading/thinking/scrolling
• moreover the new generation of iPads has quite thin screen edges, so just by grabbing the iPad usually the thumb touches the screen and sometimes it triggers the long press
• it also seems to happen when I use the slide over function in IOS and hold onto the slided app for too long
Ok, lets see what the others think.
Thanks for keeping it in mind.

For the postponement of cards: Yeah I think the most useful default duration for a one-tap-solution would be „next round“. Would help to kind of browse through due cards in a staple to answer only some specific cards at first.

Best wishes!!
Max

Postby Ernie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:06 am

Oh, I see I broke the dictionary lookup. I'm planning to undoing this change for the next update, which I will likely release within the 3-5 days.

The press and hold is broken on Android, where it's existing before I intended it to.

I'll still likely want an improved version of this working, but I'll default to the feature being off.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby mt20 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:13 am

Thanks Ernie for the update that restores look-up feature, however dark theme feature is not working as it was used to. I was wondering if you can fix this in the upcoming updates.

Cheers !!

Murat
mt20

Postby Ernie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:27 am

Hi Murat,

I don't think there has been any change in coding related to this, so I think something changed in iOS. I don't have an easy fix at this time. I think I ultimately need to support dark mode, which will require a bit of work on my part. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback