Study time

Study time

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:13 am

Hi Ernie,

Is it possible that you have changed something with regard to time recording of studying decks?

I feel like the app records less time than I actually spent on studying.

Is time only recording when the display is "active"? There is another mode where the display does not turn off but turns a little bit darker after you have not used the device for some moments. I am wondering if time is still counting in this "non-active" (but not fully turned off) mode.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris

Re: Study time

Postby Ernie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 am

Hi Chris,

A couple months ago and I did make a small change that should have increased study time. I found a relatively uncommon case were some study time was not recorded. So this was fixed a couple months ago. If you have one of the recent versions of the app, this would be fixed.

When the screen is off, study time is NOT recorded. So the app won't count time when screen is off. I think this makes sense. The screen only goes dim for 5-10 seconds. During this time, the app is still active, so time is recorded.

When you are not in the study screen, time is also not recorded.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:20 am

Many thanks for your answer and sorry for my late response as I am studying more regularly only now again.

There must be a little bug somewhere with the time recording. I just spent 30+ minutes on a deck in spaced repetition. However, it was only counting 21 minutes. Unfortunately, I cannot recreate the situation where time is not recording as expected. Yesterday, everything worked exactly like explained by you. I do have the most recent versions of the app. (I use Flashcards primarily on the iPad, sometimes on the iPhone.) I always study in spaced repetition. The screen is never off when I study. Any ideas?

Edit: You have mentioned that time only counts when I am in study screen. Does showing the back of a flash card count as study screen? Because I do spend some time on the back of a flash card in order to memorize facts I have forgotten etc.

Edit 2: Another guess, the backs of my flash cards are sometimes quite long. If a flash card is too long for the screen, I will have to tap on that flash card in order to scroll through the whole content. Is it possible that the time (when im in "scroll mode") is not included in study time? This might be a little difference between studying today and yesterday when it worked properly (I studied no long flash cards yesterday).
Chris

Postby Ernie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:58 am

Thank you! Yes, the problem is with scroll mode. I wasn't saving time correctly when switching back and forth between scroll mode. I just updated the coding and I'll be releasing a new version within the next couple weeks.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:07 am

Awesome, thanks a lot!
Chris

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback