Importing decks from "Flashcards Deluxe" to "Anki"?

Importing decks from "Flashcards Deluxe" to "Anki"?

Postby verdect » Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Hello,

Can anyone please explain clearly how to import decks from "Flashcards Deluxe" to "Anki"?
Note that the decks contain images also.
Will it be possible? messy?

Thank you!
verdect

Re: Importing decks from "Flashcards Deluxe" to "Anki"?

Postby Ernie » Tue May 14, 2019 4:41 am

Which direction are you going?

If Flashcards Deluxe to Anki, then you'll want to export your deck from within Flashcards Deluxe:

Tap Edit, tap deck, Export/Share. You have some options. Export to Dropbox or Google Drive if possible. Otherwise, export to "App Server" (you'll make up a "deck code"), then go to my "export" page to grab your text and media, at: http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/Export.aspx. In this case, you can optionally also export by email to get text in Excel file.

At this point, I don't know how to get into Anki... you'll have to ask on their boards, but you should have all the file data you need.

There's not going to be any automatic conversion either way, but both apps can import and export, you'll just need to manually reformat a bit.

If you are going to Flashcards Deluxe, below is the info I have:

The only way I know how to transfer data from Anki is with the help of the desktop version of Anki to export.

Open the deck in your desktop version of Anki.  (If you need to, export the deck from the mobile app as an apkg file and import that to the desktop version.)
In Anki desktop, export the deck (File > Export) using format "Notes in plain text".
Copy paste that into excel and cleanup if needed so you have a nice two-column list of questions and answer.
If you have picture/sound names, you'll want to keep just the file names (and remove Anki's extra stuff). (You can use a formula to do this.)  Save as .xslx or .txt file.

Now you’ll want the media, if you need to transfer that.  You need to find where Anki stores it.  On PC, try:
\My Documents\Anki\User 1\collection.mediaAnother way to get the media is to rename the .apkg file to .zip, unzip, and look for the media in a "collection.media" folder.

Now you should have text and media and can transfer to Flashcards Deluxe using one of the transfer methods (my website, Dropbox, Google Drive).
http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby kraemder » Sat May 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Any ideas on what to do if you have several Anki decks with media? My issue is that Anki puts all the media into one folder so if I want to copy the media it has to be all the media and I have a lot of decks. Basically it’s too much. We’re talking tens of thousands of media files.
kraemder

Postby kraemder » Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm

I think I thought of a solution. Export all Anki decks to Anki files with media etc. Then delete all the decks from Anki and go in and delete all the media from your media directory. Then import whatever deck you want to export to FCD. Now export it as a text file tab delimited or whatever and clean it up and import it to FCD and you can now just copy all files from the media directory into your new FCD deck media folder. It seems like it should work.
kraemder

Postby Ernie » Sun May 19, 2019 6:57 am

I didn't understand what you suggested, but you can let me know if it doesn't work out.

If you are using Dropbox or Google Drive to store your media files, you should be able to use "media-dir" header to specify a single media directory for all your decks:

* media-dir All media files

In this case the app should look to the following dir for media files: \Dropbox\Apps\All media files\
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun May 19, 2019 6:18 pm

Thank you for your reply

I want to import from "Flashcards deluxe" to "Anki". So as I understand there will be no problem to import from deluxe to Anki right? the decks will be imported with media, without any problem?
If anyone previously imported from deluxe to Anki please give your experience.
Thanks!

Postby Ernie » Sun May 19, 2019 7:07 pm

verdect,

You wrote,
So as I understand there will be no problem to import from deluxe to Anki right?

I can't say this is the case. I'll copy-paste what I wrote in my first post:

If Flashcards Deluxe to Anki, then you'll want to export your deck from within Flashcards Deluxe:

Tap Edit, tap deck, Export/Share. This will allow you to export your flashcard text as either a text file or Excel file, plus you'll have the option to export your media. You have some options. Export to Dropbox or Google Drive if possible. Otherwise, export to "App Server" (you'll make up a "deck code"), then go to my "export" page to grab your text and media, at: http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/Export.aspx. In this case, you can optionally also export by email to get text in Excel file.

At this point, I don't know how to get into Anki... you'll have to ask on their boards, but you should have all the file data you need.

There's not going to be any automatic conversion either way, but both apps can import and export, you'll just need to manually reformat a bit.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby washerske » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:28 am

Is there a way to export an active Flashcard Deluxe deck and import it into Anki without losing the progress on the cards?
I started using a deck but I am unhappy with Flashcards Deluxe because I require a Desktop solution as well which FD does not supply. That's why I would like to move it to my desktop computer but I don't want to have to start all over
washerske

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:36 pm

Hi washerske,

You can probably export your flashcards (without statistics) to Anki without too much trouble. I'm not sure the process, but FCD will export to Excel for each manipulation.

As for statistics, no, you probably won't be able to export those to Anki. The format would be too different. But I just don't know how Anki organized their statistics or how you can import them.
From FCD you can export your statistics. You'll get a "Statistics 1" column (for example) with a bunch of info separated by a comma. If you are using spaced repetition, this would have info like current interval, last studied, and due date.
If you want to be able to parse this, email me, and I can send you an Excel file that will help parse the string.
But again, I doubt transferring that to Anki would be straightforward. I just don't know.

If you want desktop, I wouldn't worry so much about progress and just start again with Anki. You can probably answer (know very well) for the known cards so you don't have to practice them much and get the interval up quickly.

Ernie
et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback