Using Google's Font Directory

Using Google's Font Directory

Postby Vinde » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:49 am

Hi!

So I am aware that we can use HTML to format text to some extent, and that basic formatting like bold/italics carry over seamlessly from Google-sheets/Excel into the program.

I was wondering if it's possible to use this font called 'Kosugi Maru'.

It is available on Google's Font Directory and they have some instructions on how to use it on webpages with some code snippets such as
Code: Select all
<style>
@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Kosugi+Maru');
</style>

Is there a way to use this font on FCD on iOS?

It's not super important, but I thought I might ask anyway :P

Thank you!
Vinde

Re: Using Google's Font Directory

Postby Ernie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:51 am

Hi. Search the in-app help for "custom fonts". Two ways currently to get a font file in iOS app:
1) iTunes
2) put font file on internet somewhere.

Option can be troublesome and many people might not be able to put a file on the internet with a direct link to it.
Can you find the font file for download? It seems like Google just wants to you use the html you showed, instead of downloading font directly.

If needed, I can likely put the font file on my server for download. Let me know if that would be useful.

I'm out of town now, so can get to this in a few days.
Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Vinde » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:45 am

Thank you very much for the instructions, and also for programming the font download feature!!

I got it to work after importing the font file into the app from: https://git.hirasaka.io/gitbucket/ryu/sdl_game/raw/d773a83e14293ae98a68d893162e2a50f243c938/font_assets_dev/KosugiMaru-Regular.ttf

The font can also be downloaded from Google https://fonts.google.com/download?family=Kosugi%20Maru. (zip file)

Actually, at first I'd uploaded the font into my GoogleDrive and got a download link to the file, but the link that I got from GoogleDrive ended in numbers. Such links don't seem to work with FDC's font import. Thankfully I found a link to the file as a '.ttf' (pretty easy to google in this case) that worked right away :D

Thanks again. Cheers!
Vinde

Postby Ernie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 am

Great! Thanks for the update and info.

I saw someone write on the internet: "This is the font used for most Japanese phones." (Android, I assume)

This made me wonder if it's a popular font, and maybe one I should make available for each downloading by users. I'll consider it.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Vinde » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:51 am

Coincidentally, I was actually thinking that I should recommend you to add Kosugi Maru as an optional font for users to download lol

IMHO, the font is pretty beginner friendly and it's cute/pleasant. Personally, I'm quite liking its readability and neatness in my Kanji studies.

At any rate, our current custom font import method is great too.
Vinde

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback