How to structure Excel-file with 9 columns

How to structure Excel-file with 9 columns

Postby razarot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am

Hey there

I created a Flashcard stack with Excel to learn birds. The columns look like that:
Sound 1 Text 5 Text 6 Text 7 Text 8 Picture 1 Picture 2 Picture 3 Picture 4 Category 1 Category 2 Category 3

My problem ist now, that
- the Sound 1 file comes with the first Picture 1. It should be only a blank page. Do I have to number all columns in a row, so that they show up in order of their number?
- only Text 5 is showing, the others don't show up

The Pictures and the Category columns work fine.

Suggestions, how to fix this problem with a new structure in Excel? I want to see all columns in the app in the right order.

thx for the help
razarot

Re: How to structure Excel-file with 9 columns

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:11 pm

hey razarot.
Did you check the list screen and see not all imported as expected? In that case have a look at the excel example in http://orangeorapple.com/Flashcards/Default.aspx section «add picture and sound».
If you see everything in the list screen but the cards are not showing the content as expected, you need to arrange the text, pict and sound on the sites by using the layout feature.

@Ernie,
I checked the link above but cannot find any description how to setup layout (maybe a bit in section «multiple choice ...«)
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Ernie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:01 am

razarot,

1) There are only five sides available on each flashcard when studying. This is why Text 6+ do not show up. It sounds like you want 7+ sided cards, but it's not possible
2) Each card has a "card layout" that defines what is shown on each side. The default layout is:

Side 1 (side first shown) contains: Text 1, Picture 1, Sound 2
Side 2 (side shown 2nd) contains: Text 2, Picture 2, Sound 2
... and so on

If you want only sound on side 1, one option is to not use Picture 1 and start with Picture 2.

If you have Text 6+, you HAVE to create a custom layout to show these. For example, you can have
Side 3 show: Text 5, Text 6, and Picture 3

I hope you can see how different Text/Picture items are mapped to a side of a study flashcards. Max 5 pictures. Max 5 sides when studying. You can map your Picture/Text items to the 5 sides.

Deck Options > Card Layout. Tap Custom 1 to select. To edit, tap Edit, Custom 1. There is a help button here.

@Katja
Hi Katja. I don't think I have any documentation on Card Layout outside of in-app help. What I *really* want to do is create a video. Hopefully I can do this within the next few weeks.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby razarot » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:58 am

Hey Ernie

Thank you for your reply. Now, I understand it better.
Ich played with the custom mode on the app and manged to get (more or less) the outcome I wanted. First it shows the sound side, then two sides with pictures, after that one side with a picture and text and the last one only contains text. Isn't it possible to show two pictures on one side?

I haven't tried it out with manipulating the Excel file though.
razarot

Postby Ernie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 am

While the app can show up to 5 text items on a single side, only 1 picture can be shown on a side. This is a limitation of the app.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback