Does the App Cache sound files

Does the App Cache sound files

Postby cokvhecv » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:05 pm

I notice that if I have sounds referring to http://.....mp3 someplace out on the web,
if I've played the sound at least once, the app seems to be cacheing or remembering the sound.
I disconnect my iPhone from wireless & turn cellular data OFF for the Flashcards App, & it still plays the sound anyhow when I come to that card.
This is a good thing, I like it, but am just looking for confirmation that this is really how it's working.
Can anybody confirm ?
cokvhecv

Re: Does the App Cache sound files

Postby Ernie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi,

I assume you've create a "Sound 1" (or 2, etc) column in your Excel/text file and transferred into the app. During the import process, the app will download the files pointed to by your URL links and store these sound (or picture) files within the app's data directory. At this point, the internet is no longer used and the files saved on the device are used to play the sounds.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby cokvhecv » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 am

OK understood, just wondering, if it's all happening at the time the import/update is happening, isn't there a risk that that could look like a DOS attack on the server, for ex. if I'm hitting the same server for sound files a bazillion times ?
for what it's worth I just tried this & got :
> Retry Media ?
> Not all media files were downloaded successfully. Retry ?
> Success : 467
> Failed : 448
> (list of 3 mp3 files...)
> No / Yes
___________________ So I selected Yes , & on 2nd try I got : ___________________
> same thing but this time :
> Success : 0
> Failed : 448

Postby Ernie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:55 pm

I don't think grabbing 1000 pictures fairly quickly from a website would likely cause any problems. I haven't heard or noticed any specific issues with the current workings, but your point is a valid concern.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback