Questions about sync via google drive

Questions about sync via google drive

Postby lycopodiopsida » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:56 am

Hello,

I am a bit confusing about sync functionality. My current setup is adding notes via google sheets. I am trying to sync it from one device to another via google drive, but deck statistics are not imported. This is especially confusing, since I can see that statistics are added to cards in the corresponding sheet in google drive. All what another device does is just to completely overwrite then. What is the point to write them in the sheet anyway, if they are not respected afterwards?

I've also tried to use the beta sync functionality, but I don't understand what is synced there. Certainly not deck statistics.

So, what would be the proper way to approach it?
lycopodiopsida

Re: Questions about sync via google drive

Postby Ernie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:24 am

Hi. I'm not sure exactly what is going on in your case.

Say device A is up to date. You want to move to device B.
- On A, export to Google Drive. Make sure you check option to export statistics. After exporting, you should see a "Statistics 1" column in your sheet. Makes sure it exsits.
- On B, if you haven't already added the deck, add as a new deck. At this point, statistics should match. Even if you've already added, how about trying to add again to see if you get statistics imported by importing a new deck.
- If you already added the deck, the deck is linked to your Google Drive sheet (see "deck code" in deck edit screen). In this case, you can tap "Edit", tap deck (to get to deck edit screen), then "download/update". This will replace all cards, but the process will generally keep your existing statistics (from device B in this case) by matching up old and new cards and copy statistics from old to new cards. IF your Google source has statistics, you should be asked which set of statistics you want to keep... either the local statistics or those found in your Google sheet.

Does the above work for you?

As for the "beta sync" (iOS only), this should definitely keep statistics in sync between two devices. If you have two iOS devices and want to keep the statistics in sync, the new beta sync should be a good solution. This is independent of Google Drive transfers. So you'd still use Google Drive to transfer updates to one of your devices, then use the beta sync to then copy changes to the other device.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby lycopodiopsida » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Ernie,

I've managed somehow to sync the statistics with Google Drive via Export. However, now I see the entries duplicated in the list of cards in the application. The number of cards is a right one and there are no duplicates in the google drive file. I've tried to remove and add the stack again but the problem remains. Maybe because I have beta sync activated and export and import statistics via Google Drive at the same time?

Statistic entries in the file look like this: 2,0,0,0,0,1,20,2018-11-03 18:40,2018-11-04 14:40
lycopodiopsida

Postby Ernie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Do have duplicate cards? (too many cards in the deck in your device?)
I really don't know why that would happen. It might be due to an unknown problem with the sync. I haven't heard of this before.
You seem to have a concern with statistics still, so I'm not sure if "duplicates" and statistics are related or independent issues.

You verified Google Drive is OK.
In the app, tap Edit, tap deck. Is the "deck code" the name of the correct Google Drive file? Tap "download/update". At this point, are the number of cards in the app correct? It should be.

If you open and close the app, the sync process should start. When I say sync, this means connecting with MY server, not Google Drive. You should see a message that sync finished at bottom of Decks screen. Is card count still correct?
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby lycopodiopsida » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:44 am

Do have duplicate cards? (too many cards in the deck in your device?)

The funny thing is, judged by the count of cards - no. But if I go to the "Cards" view, I see all of the available cards dublicated and I see them twice while repeating them.

You verified Google Drive is OK.
In the app, tap Edit, tap deck. Is the "deck code" the name of the correct Google Drive file?

Yes.

Tap "download/update". At this point, are the number of cards in the app correct? It should be.

After doing so the number of cards is dublicated with every update.

If you open and close the app, the sync process should start. When I say sync, this means connecting with MY server, not Google Drive. You should see a message that sync finished at bottom of Decks screen. Is card count still correct?

App states, that the Sync was correct and it does not change the number of available cards. But we can render the sync out of suspicion - I've disabled it and it seems, that it is the update from the google sheet document, which duplicates the entries. There is nothing special in the deck by itself - only a list of french vocables. I could send or share it to you, if you wish.
lycopodiopsida

Postby Ernie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:31 am

Oh, I might know the problem.

When updating, in the "Decks to Update" screen, tap gear icon at top-right. Is "Append" checked? If so, uncheck. That should fix the problem.

As to why it got checked, that's concerning.
As to why the card count in the "Decks" screen doesn't match the actual number of cards, that also makes me concerned.

Let me know how that goes.
Sorry for the trouble.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby lycopodiopsida » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 am

Ah yes, this was the problem. Well, another issue solved, the day is rescued. Thanks :)
The card count is OK now - the wrong number was due to duplicate entries.
lycopodiopsida

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:39 am

I bough this app to put on my kindlefire. I had read that other people have used it on the kindlefire, but when I bought it, I founout that I am not ablo download it on there. So I went to my other tablet, and it won't let me download it there either! Not a very happy customer at this time!!

Postby Ernie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi Guest,

1) The Google Play Store version of the app cannot run on Kindle. If you want to run on Kindle, you need to purchase from Amazon store. If you purchased from Google Play Store and want a refund, you can email me at et@orangeorapple.com. I don't think this what your problem is, but I mentioned it since I'm not 100% sure.

2) The Kindle version of the app cannot download from Google Drive. Sorry. Kindle devices don't have the required "Google Services" available on the device, which I need to program support for Drive access.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback