Max cards a day

Max cards a day

Postby firerefined » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 am

Hi There,
Love this app and use it every day! I was wondering if there is a way to set a maximum number of cards to be shown per day in a given folder or a given deck ? For example, even when I push back due dates in the spaced repetition setting (which is my preferred setting and one I want to keep, so don't want to switch to Leitner), sometimes I still have like 50 cards. What if I just want to see 20 cards that day of my due cards?

My husband switched from this app to Anki flashcards because of this one feature: "Maximum reviews/day allows you to set an upper limit on the number of reviews to show each day. When this limit is reached, Anki will not show any more review cards for the day, even if there are some waiting. If you study consistently, this setting can help to smooth out occasional peaks in due card counts, and can save you from a heart attack when returning. When reviews have been hidden due to this option, a message will appear in the congratulations screen, suggesting you consider increasing the limit if you have time."

If this is not yet a feature, could it please be on the list of things to add?
firerefined

Re: Max cards a day

Postby Ernie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:05 am

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I don't have a quick answer for you, but I will think about this. Give me a couple weeks to decide what I want to do about this, and you can check back here for an update from me.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:12 pm

firerefined,

While I was seriously considering doing so, I'm not planning on adding such a feature at this time. I'm sorry.

When you study in spaced repetition mode, you'll see the number of your reviews for the day (in the Correct % section) in the summary screen that shows up at the beginning and end of a round. While the app doesn't stop you at a certain point, you can stop yourself when you've reached your target number. At this point, I feel like having the app stop you has more psychological benefit than anything else, but I can see that it could still be beneficial. Due to time and programming/UI complications, I'm going to delay tackling this.

Another issue with space repetition is bunching of cards, where # of due cards can be wildly different from day to day. I'd like to address this somehow, someday, but haven't figured out how I really want to deal with this.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby firerefined » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I found a workaround in the meantime!!

I wanted this setting for when I am reviewing multiple decks at once and there are say 100 cards total and that just seems undoable that day, so stopping myself would have meant deciding how much from each deck to do (and some decks only had 1 or 2 due).

But, your "push back due dates" has been a wonderful workaround! I just pushed it back, not a whole day, but little increments, until I got to the number of cards I wanted to review. So, I would push back .2 of a day, and once I got to 30-50 cards, I would be set. Just wish the push back due dates was a bit more accessible. Right now, I am clicking edit, advanced, then push back due dates and that works to get me there; it is more the having to re-choose every deck part that is a bit cumbersome. For now, when I re-enter it, each time I have to select all the decks I want (kinda wish it kept the previous ones I chose already selected or something similar).

Thank you again for a wonderful app.
firerefined

Postby Ernie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:12 am

firerefined,

If you want to push back dates for multiple decks at once, you might try the following:
Create a combination deck and include the decks you want to "push back cards". (To later add/remove a deck, tap Edit then tap combo deck.)
Change combo deck to spaced repetition.
Push back cards from this single combo deck.

This should affect all cards in the combo deck, also affecting the base decks since the cards are the same cards.
One issue might be that if you have filtered certain cards in "cards to study" in the base decks, then pushing back in combo (which doesn't have any filters) will affect more cards than it would if you ran on base decks.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback