Improvements

Improvements

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:53 am

Hey,

Thanks for an amazing app!!

I love the learning mode where you have to get cards right in a row to make them active

I learn a language and so it would be great if both card 1 and 2 showed in the reviews for definate im that mode

Also would it be possible to have an option for getting cards right in a row a set number of time in reviews as well as new cards?

Hope this makes sense!!

Thanks

Ben
Ben

Re: Improvements

Postby Higgins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 am

Firstly: WOOOW, you did a really great job with this app!! It's been incredibly helpful for my exams! Thank you!

I am using it on my iPod touch and I'd really love to use it on my Android phone. Unfortunately, I realized that there is nothing comparable for Android. I already read that you are quite busy and don't really have a plan of Android phones but maybe you know someone who would be able to. That would be really really great!

Best regards,
Higgins
Higgins

Postby Ernie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:57 am

Ok, we have some thread hijacking going on. Ha.

Ben,

I'm not very clear on what you are asking. It sounds like you are interested in studying the opposite direction, meaning show side 2 first then guess side 1. If so, I would recommend creating a second "combination" deck that is just for studying side 2 first:

To create a deck for direction 2, tap “+” and add a new Combination deck, and include just your main deck. Open it, go to study options, change “Show Side First” to “2” and change “Statistics Set” to “2” (in same screen).

You will now have two decks, one for studying side 1 -> side 2, and other for side 2 -> side 1. The second deck just points to the first one (the cards are not actually duplicated), but it uses it's own set of statistcs. Hopefully this makes sense. Hopefully this is what you are asking about!

Other option, if you are trying to study side 2 -> side 1, is just to make a complete copy of the deck and set "Show Side first" to "2".

As for "cards right in a row" for active cards, I'm not sure. It sounds like you are using "spaced repetition". When a card is active, I recommend you just let the built-in scheduling work. If you know a card, there is no need to practice it 3 times. If you just "kind of know it" and you want more practice on it, answer wrong and it will get scheduled more often. This is probably better than getting every card asked 3 times in a row.

Sorry, I feel like I didn't answer your questions very well. Let me know if you need more clarification or I didn't help.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 am

Higgins,

No I really don't have a lead, but it seems like there are quite a few flashcard apps available.
Here looks like a fairly hardcode one: http://www.anymemo.org/
If you are doing spaced repetition, maybe this is good. Though I'm not a big fan of having to tap one of 6 numbers to continue.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 am

Hey Ernie,

No that answers my question just fine, great idea I will do the combined deck thing. Also the answer on reviews works for me also.

I shall continue to plug your app to friends, is by far the bet flash card app I have seen and it has been life changing for my studies, my tube ride is now valuable study time so thanks a lot!!

Ben
Ben

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Hello Ernie,

Is there any way of accurately keeping track of how many new cards I have learnt for today without actually having to do a round of learning new cards?

Would it be possible to put this on the summary screen along with the pending/new, active-due etc. I would just like to make sure that I am hitting my target of 20 cards per day for each of my decks

Many Thanks,

Ben

Postby Ernie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Putting "cards learned today" on the intro screen (if you've learned any today) seems like a good idea. Maybe I'll do that for next update (which is a couple months away).

For now, you'll either have to go through a new round or just remember what it told you last time you finished a round.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 am

Hey Ernie,

Great program. I'm a huge fan of the amount of customizability. I have two suggestions to make the app even better.

First, it could have better fonts or the option to upload user fonts. I use the flashcards to study Chinese and the included fonts are almost useless for writing style and stroke order. This is sometimes essential for character memorization and always important for good handwriting. I realize this may be out of the scope of the iphone, though, so I'm making the same suggestion to Apple and I'll scour the jailbreaking community if I have to. If it is an issue of limited system fonts I can let you know what I find.

The second suggestion is q bit simpler (I think). Is it possible to upload sound files from iTunes or elsewhere? Again this applies to my Chinese studies, but here more than the fonts it's very useful to have a native speaker. I have the mp3s of every vocal word on my iPhone but I can only put my own horrible vocie recordings on the cards.

Thanks for your time and I hope my suggestions help!

Jordan Dreyer
Jordan

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 am

In case you decide to go ahead with the font support...

here's instructions for adding custom fonts:

blog.beefyapps.com/2010/06/custom-fonts-in-ios-4/

Heres a free font:

ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/ttf-arphic-bkai00mp/ttf-arphic-bkai00mp_2.10.orig.tar.gz

-Jordan

Postby Ernie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Jordan,

1) Fonts - I include fonts that I think would be useful AND are installed on the device. I know I can install custom fonts in the app, but here's the problem... the font file you suggested is 10MB. For me to include this would increase the size of the app by about 400%, and I'm not really excited about making everyone download a semi large app just for a font that relatively few people are going to use. If Apple would somehow allow downloading of fonts after install, I would have been all over this long ago. Anyway, I'll still consider this and keep my eyes open for options, but I'm not ready to bundle a large font pack in my app yet.

2) Sound files - I don't support adding sounds from iTunes yet, but I may. You can do this another way though... use your PC to create your flashcard text and include references to your sound files. Then upload the text and sound files to my server and you can download it all to the app. I actually recommend that you put your sound files on Dropbox (or similar server, including your own), and use my "media directory URL" parameter so that when the app downloads your "private deck", it knows where to find your sound files.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:20 pm

~Hey Ernie!

Any luck on implementing targets of cards to study per day or at least a log of how many you have studied in a day (new cards)

Got exams coming up and this feature would be amazing!!

Regards,

Ben

Postby Ernie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Ben,

I haven't done anything on this yet. For new cards, it will show you a count at the end, but you want something at the beginning also. Since it does show something at the end, this feature is not at the top of my to-do list, but I plan on adding it. So many things to add...

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback