Importing from plain text file

Importing from plain text file

Postby jandu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:13 am

Congratulations to your successful update, Ernie. I have seen your excel file with the import infos.
I am aware that for 90 % of my belongings the old format would be adequate but as you implemented it I'm trying to understand:

How to manage importing data: I write directly into a default plain file on dropbox, then import it to a default deck in flashcards deluxe (with your append feature), have a last look if everything has been imported and then move all cards from this default deck into the appropiate deck where it stays forever.
(This might sound a little bit long-winded but I'm used to it and I'm not concerned with deck-codes or possibly erroneous transferred data into an existing deck.)

When using plain text file - if I work with your new data format - do I need the header row? - Due to my first investigations it depends on the actual format of the destination deck. If this deck has already four text fields then the first four entries (separated by tab) go to the first four text fields.

Did you find wrong assumptions of me up to here?

And now the question: My destination deck is always empty (as I move the data after receiving it). As the deck ist empty and I have no header row in my dropbox plain text file, what are the standard data fields to which the new data of the text file refers? (Is it then: 3 text fields ...)

Do you understand what I mean?

Best wishes.
jandu

Re: Importing from plain text file

Postby Ernie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:29 am

Hey Jandu,

I'm a little unsure what you are asking exactly, but, let me say a few things which I think will help.

Most importantly, you can use either import format to append to any deck. This does not matter at all. For example, you can create a new deck with two sides using the original format, and append to it 5-sided cards using the new format. (The opposite works also.)

If you don't use a header row, the old format is assumed, and the columns are:
side 1, side 2, side 3, category 1, category 2

If you use a header row, then each column is defined by the header.

Does this answer your question?
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Importing from plain text file

Postby jandu » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:51 am

Yes-) Thanks a lot.
jandu

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback