New Feature Request: Deck Groups/Categories

New Feature Request: Deck Groups/Categories

Postby Faith » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:45 pm

Firstly, I love Flashcards Deluxe! I use it all the time to help me learn!

Being that I use it so much, I have a long list of decks! I would like to be able to declutter my list of decks. Would it be possible to have groups for organizing Decks by categories? For example: all decks for learning French in a group, all decks for memorizing medical terms in there own group, or cards relating to my child's math skills in a group.

I think all users could benefit from this.

What do you say? :D
Faith

Re: New Feature Request: Deck Groups/Categories

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:41 pm

I do not know what Ernie will say but I like to answer re "I think all users could benefit from this. "

I use FCD since several years and found it much easier to maintain less decks. Therefore I combine all my decks covering the same topic e.h. english, into one deck. In that single language deck I use categories to distinguish. The same deck is used to create various layouts and combination decks for different learning. Having a look into the forum there are several example that user starts with single decks, face maintenance challenges and solve that by moving cards together.
Therefore I would not expect that too many user benefits from organising decks.
Katja from Hamburg

Re: New Feature Request: Deck Groups/Categories

Postby Ernie » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:37 am

Hi Faith,

I'm sorry for the very slow reply.

I also prefer fewer, larger decks. Are you comfortable importing/exporting with Excel? You might want to combine multiple decks in to a single one by copy-pasting /Excel rows to create a single document. This will allow you to easily add a "Category 1" column and fill in a description describing the group, such as the original deck name.

But you can create a folders? Did you know that? It sounds like what you are asking is to have a folder to put decks into? I'm not sure how folders differ from your request.
You can also create a "combination deck" to "virtually" combine multiple decks into a single deck for studying together as a group.

I think a nice feature would be to allow user to easily study all decks within a folder without creating and maintaining a combination deck, but the latter should work fine.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback