using tags instead of categories

using tags instead of categories

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:00 am

Have you considered developing the use of tags instead of categories? This would give the ability to use more than 4 categories and it would be easy to use more than one cat in a column.

Re: using tags instead of categories

Postby Ernie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:52 pm

It's something I've considered, but it hasn't made it to the top of my priority list. It's not going to happen anytime soon. I understand tags can be more powerful, but you generally have to TYPE in your tag criteria to filter. I think my system is easier for most people to deal with, and you can select items from a list rather than typing. Sorry about that.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 pm

I am using text-5 as a tag field. So I place here various keywords in different combination. That works well for searching (like filter category). The only disadvantage is that those tags can not be used for "cards to study".
Maybe that help you as well.
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:04 am

Hi Ernie,
while reading your (valid) arguments again, it comes into my mind that a category which allows multiple selection could be a solution. There is still a list to select a value, but more than one is allowed. Filter for category will still allow only to select one or (better) also several. Group by category could be a challenge ... maybe cards needs to be shown in each group where they belongs to i.e. more than one time. And for cards to study it should work as well as there is already multi select possible (of course internal filter needs to be adjusted).
Katja from Hamburg

Postby Ernie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:57 am

Hi Katja,

You make some good and interesting points. I've made a note of this idea and this forum post, so let's wait awhile to see what happens. It's still not a high priority for me, but you've given me more good options for if and when I'm ready to tackle this.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Katja from Hamburg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi Gast,
in case you still follow this thread ... and for anyone searching for "tag".
It is delievered with release 3.7.1
There are still 4 Categories but you will be able to mark more than one per category.
So for simple tagging: use one category only, add all values you like and select the proper value(s) in each card.
You can group by that category, search and it works with "cards to study".

Thanks Ernie (!!!!!!!!!!!)
Katja from Hamburg

Postby afort4451 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:18 am

Hello, I am a new user and am wondering how I might be able to search for tags for use with "cards to study"? Thank you!
afort4451

Postby Ernie » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:44 pm

afort4451,
If you still need assistance, please email me (Ernie) at et@orangeorapple.com
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback