Catalan

Catalan

Postby Joana C. » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:13 am

Hello Ernie,

as you know your app doesn't offer the possibility of downloading TTS voices for some languages: Catalan.
I wonder if you have found a way to solve this problem. I really need this voice.

Thanks for your awesome app!!

Joana
Joana C.

Re: Catalan

Postby Ernie » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi Joana,

I'm sorry, I don't have any solution if you are using iOS. Catalan is not available either with Amazon Polly voice or Siri. I don't have any plans to expand support for other languages at this time.

If you are using Android, you should be able to install languages from other TTS apps, and then be able to use from within Flashcards Deluxe. If you are interested in this and need more guidance, let me know.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:21 am

Hello Ernie,

thank's for your answer.

Yes, I'm using Android and I'd like to try the solution you propose.
I'd appreciate your help in this.

Thank you!!

Joana

Postby Ernie » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:59 pm

Acapella TTS Voices is one example of a TTS app. I will use this as an example. On start up, it requires you to allow access to your contacts (so app can get your email for "login" purposes) and it also asked to access my files (maybe it needs for voice downloads?), both of which seem strange, but I trust this company, so it didn't bother me too much.

The app has "Catalan" for about 4 euros.

One voice is a free download, so you can try out. Download "Tracy (English US)".

Open Flashcards Deluxe
Open a deck with English on one of the sides.
Tap gear icon at top-right to get to Deck Options, Sound, TTS
Tap Voice 1 or Voice 2
Tap "Android" under TTS Engines
Scroll to bottom and you should see section for "acapelagroup.android.tts"
Select English (USA, TRACY)

I don't know about quality of Acapela's Catalan.

You should be able to do something similar for any other TTS voice to download via another TTS app.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 am

Hello Ernie,
I've followed your instructions and I've been able to install a Catalan voice.

Thank you very much for your help!! :D

Postby Irishbear » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:27 pm

Hey there. Hope you're doing well. Really love this app. I'm also trying to install Catalan... Using the method you mentioned... I've installed it in acapela and when I select Android voices...I don't see acapela mentioned anywhere. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks a million!! David
Irishbear

Postby IrishBear » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:19 am

HI there Ernie.
Thanks so much for this great app! I am really using it a lot for Japanese, Chinese and Spanish.
It has really helped me soooooooooo much! Thanks again.
I am now learning Catalan and have tried the following instructions below : using Acapela...and the Catalan voice.
But when I "Scroll to bottom and you should see section for "acapelagroup.android.tts" - I don't actually see this.. in the Android settings.
I see all the other languages but not the Acapela reference.

Any advice for me would be really great.
Thanks in advance and thanks again.
David

Ernie wrote:Acapella TTS Voices is one example of a TTS app. I will use this as an example. On start up, it requires you to allow access to your contacts (so app can get your email for "login" purposes) and it also asked to access my files (maybe it needs for voice downloads?), both of which seem strange, but I trust this company, so it didn't bother me too much.

The app has "Catalan" for about 4 euros.

One voice is a free download, so you can try out. Download "Tracy (English US)".

Open Flashcards Deluxe
Open a deck with English on one of the sides.
Tap gear icon at top-right to get to Deck Options, Sound, TTS
Tap Voice 1 or Voice 2
Tap "Android" under TTS Engines
Scroll to bottom and you should see section for "acapelagroup.android.tts"
Select English (USA, TRACY)

I don't know about quality of Acapela's Catalan.

You should be able to do something similar for any other TTS voice to download via another TTS app.
IrishBear

Postby Ernie » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 pm

Hi David,

I'm really sorry for the slow response. I didn't see your post until now.

This worked on my older Android phone, but I tried now on my new Android phone and I agree that it doesn't show up. I have no idea why.
I will look into this at some point, but I'm really behind in my work (due to some personal issues) and I'm not sure when I will get to this. Again, sorry for the trouble. Feel free to contact me again about this in the future for a status update.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:43 pm

I have this figured out. It should be fixed on next update.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback