TTS: words spelled the same but pronounced differently

TTS: words spelled the same but pronounced differently

Postby al017 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Is there a way to make TTS to pick the correct pronunciation with words like "project" (which is a noun if the stress is on the first syllable, and a verb if the stress is on the second syllable, with very different meanings)?

Another example is 还 in Chinese, which could be hai1 or huan1?

For English, so far I found no solution. For Chinese, I found that I can force the right pronanciation by replacing characters with zhuyin and using the alternative TTS text feature. This, however, works only for Apple's voices (e.g., for Chinese (China) - Tin-Ting), but not for built-in TTS (e.g., not for Chinese (Female)). The problem with using Apple's voices is that the app does not recognise the text as Chinese, than, and does not offer a "Launch Pleco" link.

(As clear from the above, I am using the app on IOS devices).
al017

Re: TTS: words spelled the same but pronounced differently

Postby Ernie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am

I don't have a "proper" way to specify a pronunciation. What I would do is the alternate TTS function and enter a different English spelling. In your case, you could try:

praject
pro-ject

For Chinese, iSpeech doesn't support pinyin or bopomofo. So I really don't have a solution unless you pick another character (troublesome), or switch to Siri voice.

I will update the app for the next update so that Launch Pleco will work when a Siri voice is selected.

(It was good timing for me hearing that Siri/Android TTS can speak bopomofo, and with tone marks. I didn't know that. I'll likely want to use this functionality for another project.)
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback