How update dropbox csv file without loosing progress?

How update dropbox csv file without loosing progress?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Now that quizlet is not an option how do I update my set (e.g. added new cards, correct answers) without loosing my progress?

Re: How update dropbox csv file without loosing progress?

Postby Ernie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 am

I assume you have a deck on your device. You can export to Dropbox by tapping Edit (at main Decks screen), tap deck, Export / Share, Dropbox. You'll have option to export in text format or Excel format. Excel is recommended if you can edit there.

Before you export, tap Edit, then tap deck. Notice the deck code. This is the online source that is used for re-downloading. Your's might start with "Q:" if you originally downloaded from Quizlet. Erase the deck code, then export. to Dropbox. The purpose of erasing the deck code is that when you export to Dropbox, the deck code will be updated to match the Dropbox source. After updating the the text in Dropbox, in the app tap Edit, tap deck, Download/Update. This will download from the source defined in the deck code. All cards will be replaced, but the app will try to match up your old and new cards to carry statistics forward. This usually works well.

To be safe, I would recommend exporting your deck twice... once with statistics and once without. The one with statistics can be used to restore if anything goes wrong with your Download/Update process the first time. The one without can be used to make updates to. If using Excel you can use either to update, but as a text file, the statistics makes the text document more messy to deal with.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:14 am

Hi Ernie, would a step-by-step guide of this be possible, please? I want to do this but I really don't want to lose the progress.

Postby Ernie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Here's what I'll recommend:

1) Export your current deck to Dropbox, with statistics. To export, tap edit, tap deck, export/share, Dropbox. Set format to "Basic Text" (unless you can edit spreadsheet). Export.
2) Add back as a new deck. tap + (add deck), Dropbox, etc. You should now have a duplicate deck with statistics.
3) View the deck code for informational purposes. Tap edit, tap deck. Notice deck code. If Dropbox source, it will start with "D:". This is where a Download/Update process to grab new data from.

You want to update text file. The problem with the current text file is that there are statistics in it, which is not idea because 1) it's messy, and 2) running download/update will keep asking you which set of statistics to keep (local or dropbox version). So I recommend you:

4) Rename your current text file in Dropbox. Save off as a “with statistics” version as a backup
5) Re-export your new deck to Dropbox, but without statistics
6) Update text file
7) In the app, to update your changes from dropbox, tap edit, tap deck, Download/Update (from your new deck).

So you’ll have two backups, your original deck (presumably with a Quizlet deck code) and the extra text file in Dropbox with statistics.
Ernie
Site Admin

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback