Beta test new feature? - Links between cards

Beta test new feature? - Links between cards

Postby Ernie » Fri May 06, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm working on a new feature that will create automatic links between cards.
If you have interest in such a feature and would like to beta test or even just provide comments or feedback, let me know.

I tried to create the feature so that it would be both easy for the user to implement (you don't have to manually define links on each card) and also flexible (to solve many different needs). I do have a concern that people will want to create links in ways I haven't thought of yet, and which would not work well with the current system. This is why I'm interested in hearing feedback from people on how they think a linking system should work for them.

---

Let me explain how I'm using the new feature. I'm studying Chinese and have 3 decks:
Vocabulary
Characters (single Chinese Characters)
Sentences (conversation)

When I'm studying vocab, I'll have a word: 中文
1) I may want to see other vocab words with the character 中 (same deck)
2) I may want to jump to the "Character" card of 中 (separate deck) which shows details about this character
By tapping on the 中, the app can quickly jump to one of these two results

When studying character deck, I can tap character to view vocab that contains this character in the Vocab deck.
When studying Sentences deck, I can tap a character or word to view the entry in the Vocab deck or Characters deck.

---

Links are created automatically. I don't have to include any special information on each card (which could be time consuming to create and maintain). Instead you create one or more "link" records with the following settings:

Match Type - how to match text between source and target in order to create links ("Full - Partial", "Partial - Full", "Partial - Partial". These names are hard to understand and may be changed.)
Source Field - for example "Text 1"
Target Deck
Target Field - for example "Text 2"

I have some concern that Japanese cards may have trouble with some situations, due to lack of spaces in the text and a mixture of Kanji and syllabic characters.
Ernie
Site Admin

Re: Beta test new feature? - Links between cards

Postby turgutbekil » Sat May 07, 2016 7:52 am

Hi Ernie;

This may also be helpfull to study antonyms and synonyms of a word.
turgutbekil

Postby tinzaker » Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Seems an awesome idea !!
tinzaker

Postby turgutbekil » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 am

Hi Ernie ; Is this function added to the app ?
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 am

turgutbekil,

Yes, for iOS. See "Card Links" at the bottom of Deck Options.
Android, no. I don't have immediate plans to add this feature to Android, so not sure when that will happen. Sorry about that, if you are using Android.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby locke » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Would it be possible to beta test this feature on Android? I have corpuses of at least a million sentences based on Chinese-English translation, which I think might be helpful for this feature.
locke

Postby Ernie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:48 pm

locke,

If you have access to an iOS device, you might try checking out the feature there to see how it works for you. There is in-app help with more details on how the feature works.

I don't know when I'll add to Android, but when I do, I've made a note to offer you a beta version.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby locke » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Ernie wrote:locke,

If you have access to an iOS device, you might try checking out the feature there to see how it works for you. There is in-app help with more details on how the feature works.

I don't know when I'll add to Android, but when I do, I've made a note to offer you a beta version.

Sure. I'll get around to it on iOS to see how it works, and my email is: ivannor@qq.com, in case of a possible beta version. I just can't wait. :mrgreen:
locke

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Ernie; i use the app on my android phone but i tried the linking feature on my ipad app. Its wonderful, well thought and easly applicable. I really look forward to use this on android. I usually use 4 side of cards : english word, enslish description, turkish description, and english synanoms so i can do lots of productive linkings. Please do not postpone this feature on android :)

Thank u !!
This is turgutbekil

Postby turgutbekil » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 am

this feature is awesome, waiting for android version :)
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:51 am

Hi turgutbekil. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks. I think it shouldn't be too hard to implement for Android, so I'll move it towards the top of my to-do list.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 am

Hi Ernie;
Is this feature implemented in android too ? :)
turgut
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 am

Hi turgut,

I do have this on my to-do list, but unfortunately it's not at the top. I'm working on other updates first. I expect it will be another 6 months before this happens. Sorry!

(I have a personal project that will require this functionality on Android, so I assume high likelihood that it will get added by then.)
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm

I've programmed "card links" for Android, so it will be available for the next Android update. I'm not sure when I'll release it though... probably in a few weeks.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks Ernie. Will you let us know when you puplish it ? Or we will just see one of those promp update messages whn its published? Any possible dates?

Postby turgutbekil » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:25 am

Hi Ernie ; thanks alot !! ... android linking function is fully equal to ios one , isnt it?
we are looking forward to see next android update.

turgut
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:45 pm

The update should be available within a few hours. Yes, it should perform exactly like iOS. If you notice any unexpected behavior, please let me know.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Marge » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:14 am

Hi Ernie,

This is my first post so I just wanted to start by thanking you for making this app and your dedication to add new features to it. I've been using it now for over 4 years and I keep discovering new useful features. Whenever I think "isn't there a way to..." it is almost always out there. You made something with a ton of features so easy to use. This app is a thing of beauty.

As for my question,

I tried out the links between cards on Android and I can't seem to get it work. Here's what I've done so far:

- Linking deck with Japanese vocabulary and expressions to another deck that in which text 1 only consists of single Kanji. (tried "partial to full", and I also tried "partial to partial (by character)
- Linking deck with Japanese vocabulary and expressions to another deck that contains Japanese sentences and vocab. (tried "full to partial")
- To troubleshoot, I even made small decks with two cards containg English - Dutch vocabulary and linked those to English - Dutch sentences. ("partial to full")

However, I must doing something wrong. Whenever I do a single tap, the card obviously switches to another side. And whenever I do a long press, the text turns blue but it turns out I have only selected the text to copy paste it. There are never any links showing.

(I even tried it on a new installation on a different android device, same result.)

I feel I am overlooking something very simple. Can you help me?
Thank you so much.
Marge
Marge

Postby Ernie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:24 am

Hi Marge,

Thank you!

I found a bug in the Card Links for Android. :( I'm very sorry for the wasted effort on your part. The problem is related to Unicode characters, and in my haste, I only tested with a-z words. Thank you for letting me know of an issue.

I just released a new version, which should be available within a few hours, so please try again when you get a chance.

When you long-press the card, text may turn blue. These are hyperlinks that you can tap to launch to the related card(s). So the blue are the links. I'm not able to copy-paste the blue text, so I'm a little concerned that something else is going on on your device, but try a simple tap after the update over the blue text. In the old/bugged version, if I tap the blue link (with Japanese), nothing happened.

You said you tried an English/Dutch test and didn't work. I'm not sure, but from your description, I would think the link type would be "full to partial" if you are linking from vocab to sentences.

Let me know how it goes.

By the way, I noticed that in some cases text doesn't turn blue when I think it should. This happens on iOS also. I still need to look into that, but it doesn't seem to be a common occurrence.
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Marge » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:31 am

Hi Ernie,
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I installed the new version and it is working like a charm. It works also for Japanese decks except for words in Japanese sentences (because there are no spaces between words), which you mentioned in an earlier post. But linking from sentence to individual kanji works just fine. And also linking decks with just words to sentences or to individual kanji also work great.

This is a great new feature. Thank you so much.
Have a nice day!
Marge
Marge

Postby turgutbekil » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:34 am

Hi Ernie; With thousands of cards with synonyms sides I'd waited for that feature alot, thank you.
This app is gemstone for ones who know it. I always advertise it :)
A question: how many links can I set on a deck side (Im using advanced layouts).

turgut
turgutbekil

Postby Ernie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 am

Marge,

I'm glad it's working better now.

"... except for words in Japanese sentences"
Links between words (can be several characters) and sentences should work, using a full-partial match, right?
The app can't determine what are words in sentences, so linking a sentence to another multi-word field won't work. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about. But I hope that in general, word-sentence links (either direction) should work. If not, let me know if you want to make sure we are on the same page.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:18 am

Hi turgut,

I don't think there's a limit to the number of links for a side. Try it out and you can let me know if you run into trouble. If you have a question, I recommend you start a new thread on the forum, instead of using this existing thread.

Ernie
Ernie
Site Admin

Postby turgutbekil » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:44 am

Ok Ernie thank you. When you consider my deck and cards amount and cards with photos and multiple links mine is becouming a full android stress test of the app. I ll send feedbck (within app) there are some occasional crashes. I dont know if im on brink of android app, my phone (although its a fast one a sony Z5) or app has some minor bug. You check when you are free. Thanks again.
turgutbekil

Postby Marge » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 pm

Ernie wrote:Marge,

I'm glad it's working better now.

"... except for words in Japanese sentences"
Links between words (can be several characters) and sentences should work, using a full-partial match, right?
The app can't determine what are words in sentences, so linking a sentence to another multi-word field won't work. I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about. But I hope that in general, word-sentence links (either direction) should work. If not, let me know if you want to make sure we are on the same page.

Ernie

Hi Ernie, sorry for my late reply. Yes, we are on the same page.

I have been using this for a few days now and I use it not only for checking individual kanji but with the word -> sentence links, I learn new collocations. It's helping me a lot.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Marge
Marge

Return to Comments, Questions and Feedback